Spanish Armada Viewpoint, An Currane, Sunday 5th May 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 9:20 am

Landed there around 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the flood as planned.

Drowned a lot of lugworm, freshly dug, for a very poor return of just two wrasse, the largest being only a kilo.
Lots of small wrasse bits. Was using circle hooks, found the J hooks much better for the wrasse.

No rockling or sea scorpions or other usual suspects. Normally plagued with them. No dogs, but it was a big tide.

Picked up a small standard shore pollack spinning into the white water boils on a Sea Pesca 20 gram (casts like a dream, great value)
Also lost several fish at distance, casting into sand, but sadly near a razor sharp reef. Nothing huge but decent bites, might have been rays.
Stunning day, will post the photos if I get a chance.

Nice to be out but the mark (which yielded over 35 fish in a similar period last year including wrasse to 2 kilos) has changed.
Reef was not there last year.

Lots more sand around, which may explain the lack of wrasse. Maybe too early in the season. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

PS: Lug beds that were previously wrecked from over digging are smaller but good high quality. Those who know where know where. Please don't destroy it thanks.

Re: Spanish Armada Viewpoint, An Currane, Sunday 5th May 201

Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 am

Well good day out. Are you talking about the Spanish armada in Miltown malbay clare? I have a great spot for wrasse if so?

Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Its currane, near mulranney, co. mayo

Wed May 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Bit early for the wrasse down that side i recon weed still growing so no coverage for them to be out and about , afew showing in achill all the same!
Ya its full of lug i noticed too!