Sligo Pier 13-2-19

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Was up to my eyes with college work and hit the writers block so packed up and decided to hit a pier i normally fish during the day with an odd flounder but nothing great turning up, so chanced my arm at night time to see what was lurking! The weather was wild! Bite detection was hard to see with a strong sotherly wind but decided to give it a couple of hours. A local pot fisherman told me that dabs were possible of the pier last year so i wanted one for the 2019 list. A couple of casts in started producing coalies about the 30cm size. Had 6 one after the other. Then one of my rods went slack , tightend it up and placed it back down on the rest then saw a sharp pull. Began reeling in and i was rewarded with my Dab. Had another coalie after this and i fed the crabs well for the night. Although dabs are popular in most regions , it was a nice change for myself instead of the usual flounders and turbot.
-Joe

Re: Sligo Pier 13-2-19

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 pm

It's always good to get your target species, was the dab any size? Times are getting lean, was out the other night and only managed a handful of small coalies, whiting seem to be scarce this winter.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Come over east and you'll never want to see a whiting again!!!

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:50 pm

johnwest wrote:It's always good to get your target species, was the dab any size? Times are getting lean, was out the other night and only managed a handful of small coalies, whiting seem to be scarce this winter.

He was about 26cm nothing to big , ive tried numerous times at my 'whiting pier" where they get up to good sizes around the 40cm range but none this year and only coalies too, not one whiting not even a pin!