Mulranny Beach, 28th January 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 am

Hi all

Wandered down to Mulranny beach approaching low water and dusk and waded out to the far end where the current is strongest on the flood and ebb).
You know the place where all the bass hang out! :?

Proceeded to fire out a selection of lures, mostly SeaPesca minnows (with magnets) from aliexpress, nothing over €1.50, not expecting much in the way of action.
Hooked into quite an amount of weed, and over time a series of 500 gram coalfish on the ebb. Bitterly cold. Forgot gloves didn't I...

Switched to a long range Rapala shallow redhead (13 gram) which started to produce a similar string of coalfish. Got too cold and got out of there before my channel back was too high. Even after an hour it was well above the knees, very deceptive.

anyhow the cheap and cheerful lures worked just fine, but I intend on replacing the trebles with proper single hooks. They look a little weak.
Might get out again in a month if the chill ever leaves my bones!

tight lines

K

PS: Thinking with all these coalfish around, maybe there is a bass out there, but its feeding on the coalfish? Anyone tried something on this basis?

Re: Mulranny Beach, 28th January 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm

nice to get a few without having to get the fork out! could be a case of one in a million using a coalie for bait?

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 pm

One good thing about bait fishing, you can put your hands in your pockets between casts! (So long as you remember to bring your pockets; mine are sewn on to my jacket for that very reason!). Regards, johnwest.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm

good joke that - the channel and all those bass!!!