Donegal Bay, 19th November 2018.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Between one thing and another, I’ve found it tricky to get away recently, especially to get weather and tides to co-operate. A recent session with Chuckaroo on the North Coast had produced only a tiny flounder and a small coalfish so I was keen to see a bend in a rod. In the meantime I had eventually got around to ordering a few spare parts and repairing my Abu 6500 mag Hi-Speed which had been out of action for about 2 years. Another 2 reels had been stripped for sand removal upon which I “reelised” my Penn 515 needed a new drive shaft main bearing, (3 cracked rollers!) so I was keen to see these reels get a test run. On the run down both BBC and RTE radio were full of guff about International Man’s Day, yet I still had to make my own sambos. Stopping in Killybegs for grub and coffee, I picked up some fresh mackerel fillets, even the fishmonger remarked on how small they were. Unfortunately “30% off” referred to size and not price! The coffee machine gave up the ghost halfway through and advised me to inform a member of staff. So I collared the first staff member I saw, a man, who went off to get some milk. About 5 mins later when I was wondering if he had headed out to milk the cow himself, a woman appeared with some milk. Showing no respect for International Man’s Day, she scowled something about never asking a man to do anything. “Are you married?” I ventured, “No”, “Is it any wonder” I replied and legged it for the exit.
The last dregs of autumnal sunshine were spilling through the clouds as the usual 2 rods were set up just on high water and with a stiffish east breeze/wind blowing straight into my face, I dialled in a fair bit of spool control. The first rod was barely settled in the tripod when it started rattling; after a short while to let something develop, I reeled in 2 perfectly stripped hooks. Nothing for a while and then the first of 13 dogfish put in an appearance with a fine rattle and tug on the rod tip. He curled up in my hand doing a good impression of a Danish pastry. Somewhere along the way a small conger showed up and that was it. I had hoped for a couple of small whiting or poorcod or coalfish which would have made a nice fresh conger bait but it wasn’t to be. It’s hard to imagine not getting a small coalie at night at this time of the year. The last doggie was also the least, a mere pup, but they give a good bite and put a bend in the rods, all the newly refurbished and cleaned reels performed perfectly so I was happy enough to head for home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Donegal Bay, 19th November 2018.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Nice read JW. Must get out soon.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:22 pm

You could just find some stainless rod or bolt with no thread and cut them to length to replace the rollers ,nice cheap easy fix that will perform the same in your bearing ,just these the metal with a magnet to make sure it's proper stainless ,it shouldn't stick

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 pm

eoghanb wrote:You could just find some stainless rod or bolt with no thread and cut them to length to replace the rollers ,nice cheap easy fix that will perform the same in your bearing ,just test the metal with a magnet to make sure it's proper stainless ,it shouldn't stick

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:25 pm

I

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am

OMG or should that be MOG! 13 dogfish, not sure I could handle that... still nice report and a chuckle too ;0)

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 am

That bearings is a anti reverse bearing noting to do with the drive shaft. They can go very easily if not kept greased.
https://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_i ... ts_id=2288

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:24 am

eoghanb wrote:You could just find some stainless rod or bolt with no thread and cut them to length to replace the rollers ,nice cheap easy fix that will perform the same in your bearing ,just these the metal with a magnet to make sure it's proper stainless ,it shouldn't stick

Thanks for that eoghanb, I did something like that to repair a multifunction showerhead for the fatherinlaw a few years ago, not sure my engineering skills would be precise enough for a reel! The cracked rollers had also chewed up the nylon/plastic housing a bit so it was in need of replacement too. The part wasn't too expensive and Blakdog is very quick. Regards, johnwest.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 am

ShaneH wrote:That bearings is a anti reverse bearing noting to do with the drive shaft. They can go very easily if not kept greased.

Hi Shane, yes, it's the one way clutch/anti reverse bearing though in my defence the drive shaft does pass through and is supported by it. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting a link to Blakdog, part already obtained, fitted and reel performing perfectly. That reel has been well maintained including cleaning and regreasing that bearing; I think those 3 adjacent rollers may have been cracked by a fall onto hard ground though I don't remember ever dropping that reel. The Abu did suffer a tumble onto rocks and the threads on the drive shaft and/or handle nut were stripped as a result. Regards, johnwest.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:40 am

ShaneH wrote:That bearings is a anti reverse bearing noting to do with the drive shaft. They can go very easily if not kept greased.

That's one bearing that you want to keep grease away from...if you want your anti reverse to work.
When you have anti reverse on, rollers don't touch the shaft when reeling in. Once you try rotating the other way, rollers are forced against the shaft and resulting friction stops you from rotating handle backwards. If you add grease, friction is significantly reduced and anti reverse will fail.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Sorry but I have to disagree the rollers on the 525 do in fact come in contact with the sleeve when reeling in.
In order for the bearing to work they must be in contact with the sleeve to lock up when the handle is turned backwards. So in order to stop the rollers wearing down and the bearing failing you need grease. I’ve been greasing the bearing on 525 mags since they first came out nearly 20 years ago and have never had a problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:33 pm

ShaneH wrote:Sorry but I have to disagree the rollers on the 525 do in fact come in contact with the sleeve when reeling in.
In order for the bearing to work they must be in contact with the sleeve to lock up when the handle is turned backwards. So in order to stop the rollers wearing down and the bearing failing you need grease. I’ve been greasing the bearing on 525 mags since they first came out nearly 20 years ago and have never had a problem

Locked position in the picture you sent illustrates exactly my point. There has to be friction between the shaft and rollers in order to prevent turning the handle backwards. Grease reduces the friction so you can imagine what happens. The contact in the open position is only superficial...rollers don't actually roll with the shaft...they only move back and forth a bit between lock and open positions. If you are concerned with contact in open position, you can use a tiny drop of oil...but not grease.

Everyone does what works for them and we can all learn from own experience.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm

I never said there wasn’t friction to prevent the handle turning back. At the end of the day the bearing is there just to prevent the handle moving back the bearing itself is not under any heavy load in the reverse so in my opinion grease is not going to cos slipping. They even leave the factory with greased anti reverse bearings. And as I’m sure you know the more pressure put on the bearing the tighter the rollers get until they either slip or the plastic housing fails.