A were Donegal pier

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

A were Donegal pier

Postby MC » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:50 pm

With the kids starting back at school I got the nod from the fpo to go fishing. The gear was packed and I was off in record time, I hoped the pier wouldn't be crowded with mackerel bashers and I was lucky just two gents fishing off the end. After a quick chat with them the moved down a bit and gave me room to fish, thanks gents. Got the conger rod set up and dropped off the edge and casted a double sandeel out about 80-100 yards. Both rods has crab action straight away so changed sandeels after 10 minutes will the conger rod was tapping away I decided to put on a bigger bait, might last longer I thought, wound in to feel resistance the crabs turned out to be a conger of 6lb. Full of hope after target species first chuck I rebaited and placed the bait out again, but just got weed. As the crabs enjoyed my sandeel so much I kept them happy by changing them very 10 minutes, weed was a problem but it cleared at high water, the wind had whipped up making bite section difficult but I got a definite tap tap so I wound down and lifted into something small, my second conger of the night a wee boat lace size fish. Once again my hopes where lifted and rebaited both rods, the conger rod was in the water five minutes when I got a run which I missed and then lost my rig in a snag. Two rigs down I decided to pack the conger rod away and concentrate on the distance rod, but it was bite less for another hour before I packed it away too. All in all not a wasted night with two congers so no blank, roll on the next time

For this message the author MC has received thanks: 6
basilrabbit (Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:41 pm), chuckaroo (Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:10 pm), corbyeire (Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:52 pm), donal domeney (Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:08 pm), johnwest (Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:20 am), kieran (Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am)
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 385 times

Re: A were Donegal pier

Postby johnwest » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 am

Always good to get the target species, would conger be your "go to" species? Regarding feeding the crabs with your sandeel, perhaps you should seek sponsorship from the local crab fishermen!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby MC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:37 pm

johnwest wrote:Always good to get the target species, would conger be your "go to" species? Regarding feeding the crabs with your sandeel, perhaps you should seek sponsorship from the local crab fishermen!

No mate conger aren't my go to species just something I want to try and target this year, want a bigger one now
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 385 times

Postby bigtuna » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:13 pm

nice wee day out sure :)
bigtuna
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports