Lots of Spots, Donegal Bay, 1/July/2017

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Lots of Spots, Donegal Bay, 1/July/2017

Postby johnwest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:04 pm

The Bro had been asking about wrasse fishing so the previous day I had gone to the shore to gather some bait, 60 juicy lug and a score of small hardback should provide enough bait for a session. We picked up some frozen sandeel and mackerel on the way and in Killybegs I got the last remaining fillet of fresh mack at the grub-stop supermarket and filling station. We were planning a long session and I didn’t feel comfortable relying on catching our own mackerel. First choice mark was fully occupied; I was a bit surprised as the weather was quite miserable at the time, so we headed elsewhere. Coffee drunk and hot snacks consumed, we set up float rods to start, lug for bait. The water was exceptionally crystal clear, I wonder does this reflect a scarcity of plankton? As I was setting up a flapper rig, The Bro gave a shout and I ran over to reel in my first wrasse of the day, not huge at 1lb 8oz but a handsome golden yellow fish. We both had a couple of bottom fishing rods set up but it was a while before they produced anything; in the meantime I had 2 more ballans to 2lb 9oz and The Bro had 2, both exactly 2lb 4oz; twins perhaps? I missed a number of bites on the float rod where I was experimenting with a new potential bait for the wrasse, the bites failed to hook up but perhaps the baits were a bit of a mouthful for smaller wrasse. More research required and it will be done. One other surprising catch on the float tackle was a long spined sea scorpion, something for the species count. It was almost 3 hrs before the fish bait produced, I reeled in the flapper rod to find a substantial weight offering resistance. Only when it was in close did the struggle begin as a spotty ray realised something wasn’t quite right. Always good to get a fish but I feel I have been short-changed when I don’t see the bite. She must have been just sitting on the bottom digesting; still it was another ray on the flapper, size 4 rig. As the tide ebbed, the wrasse fishing petered out completely but fortunately The Bro stuck at it. The action was a bit slow with an occasional small dab or dogfish breaking the monotony so there was plenty of time for cups of coffee and sandwiches. Out in the bay a pod of dolphins were sporting while overhead a number of gannets were flying around covering a large area, I didn’t see any dive; not much sign of mackerel about so probably as well we bought bait. The odd sunny interval encouraged the local cock pheasant to venture out to advertise his territory and at times we could see him throw his head back to let loose. At one point I was standing in front of the tripod watching some gannets when I heard a clatter behind me and then a 13’ spear shot past my left ear, almost taking my head off. I wouldn’t mind but it’s the only head I have and replacements are hard come-by, especially since they closed down all those head shops in Dublin a year or two back. Well, it wasn’t a spear after all, just my ZZippy and Mag2, a mere 400 squidsworth, now lying in the water about 30 feet out. A black backed gull had wheeled into the line at full wind-assisted speed and hauled the rod off the stand into the water. The butt cap had scraped off allowing the rod to start filling with water but fortunately the reel had landed on top of The Bro’s float tackle and had ensnared itself in the line. (Like I said earlier, fortunately he had stuck at it). He dragged in his float and my rod while the gull fought him every inch of the way. Scrambling down to the water’s edge, I managed to grab the rod butt, untangle the float gear and start to drag in the gull. The line failed to take the strain and broke at the gull’s wing allowing it to fly off, probably the best solution. Unfortunately there was now a 3 hook flapper and about 60 yds of line loose in the water but there wasn’t much I could do, was there? After such excitement I needed a rest so into the car for a seated coffee and the long range single hook rod gives a vigorous pull-down accompanied by a buzz from the ratchet as another spotty announced his arrival. This was a bit smaller at 2lb 8oz but this was a comment, not a complaint. This was just on the turn of the tide and a couple more dogfish and dabs came to the rods. Another strong pull on the long range rod produced the third and best spotty of the day at 3lb 12oz, this is the first time I’ve had 3 spotties in one session from the shore so I was doubly (or should that be trebly) pleased. The light was now fading and this was reflected by a surge of interest from doggies bringing my total to 10. One was good enough to tangle with the lost rig and 60 yds of line I had lost earlier so that was another bonus, waste line in the bin instead of wafting around on the seafloor. A minor complaint here though, not one fish on the 3 hooks of the flapper rig! The substitute flapper rig turned up the best of the 4 dabs at 27cm, not huge but unusually marked with a dark brown head. The same rig then supplied a couple of doubles, first a dog and dab and then a pollack (1lb 12oz) and poorcod. Just after midnight, a sandeel at range attracted a hesitant but persistent rattle, a bootlace conger, and that was me finished for the night. Meanwhile The Bro had his couple of wrasse, a few doggies and on the “Lines In “ call , reeled in a bootlace of his own and then on his second rod, a lobster! He was happy enough as he revives his fishing activity and with a nice treble of spotty rays in a mix of 8 species (and I still have a ZZippy!) I was happy too.
Attachments
1st of the Day.JPG
1st Fish of the Day
LSSS.JPG
Long Spined Sea Scorpion
Best of 3.JPG
Best of 3 at 2lb 9oz
Brown faced Dab.JPG
Brown Faced Dab
LotsaSpots.jpg
LotsaSpots
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks: 3
eyesreilly (Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 am), mickser (Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 am), Sweetwrasse (Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:57 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Re: Lots of Spots, Donegal Bay, 1/July/2017

Postby johnwest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:11 pm

More pics....
Attachments
1 of 2 at 2lb 4oz.JPG
!st of 2 at 2lb 4oz for The Bro
Dog and Dab.JPG
Dog and Dab Double
Pollack and Poorcod.JPG
Pollack and Poorcod Double
pair of laces.jpg
A Pair of Laces
The Bro's Lobster.JPG
The Bro's Lobster
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby Sweetwrasse » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Great report and pics as usual JW, you really do paint a picture! Three spotty rays in a shore session, great stuff.
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!

For this message the author Sweetwrasse has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:01 pm)
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby MC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Great read, happy to hear you got the rod back

For this message the author MC has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:01 pm)
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby mickser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am

What a report and what a great day's fishing and some of the best and clearest photographs I have ever seen
well done johnwest
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?

For this message the author mickser has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:02 pm)
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby joe the junior » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Well done jw great fishing

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks:
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Deleted User 3488 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:47 am

WOW :shock: :shock:

Deleted User 3488

Postby rushnaldo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Great fishing again paddy. Gotta watch out for the spear throwers in wild west country lol lucky escape there. Tried to reply to your pm but keep getting error messages won't send

For this message the author rushnaldo has received thanks:
rushnaldo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby corbyeire » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:14 pm

It amazes me how you can get gear back later, another beast getting tangled - great result
there was once a report here of a 3 hook flapper with 3 flounder attached to a 3 hook flapper with another 3 flounder that broke off earlier!
great report as ever

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:03 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Nice mix of species paddy, a decent reward for the time put in, nice fishing. Was thinking of a wee feast there - curried doggy, battered pollack and fresh lobster - sounds good
Bloody lucky to get the rod back, if that hadn't happened you'd have had to got down to the boxers and gone for dip.. Lol
Must give that wrasse fishing a go with the small hard backs, with the nephews. Nice pics, hope the bro was satisfied.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:03 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Teegerstk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Great Report JW, you were very lucky to get the ZZippy back!

corbyeire wrote:It amazes me how you can get gear back later, another beast getting tangled - great result
there was once a report here of a 3 hook flapper with 3 flounder attached to a 3 hook flapper with another 3 flounder that broke off earlier!
great report as ever

Is it this one?: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=18441&p=138872&hilit=flounderville#p138872
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:04 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports