Lule Ashton's pet Six Gills in the news again...

Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... shark.html

Well apart from it not being 25 foot long, not being deadly, it's a stunning report of another Ashton capture.

Cant expect too much of the mail... :mrgreen:

Re: Lule Ashton's pet Six Gills in the news again...

Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

I suggested to Luke that these could be the biggest fish ever caught on rod and line in Europe. At 1500lbs I can't think of anything bigger.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Sixgills most certainly have the potential to be deadly and have been suspects in a few deadly cases.

Wed May 10, 2017 9:32 am

bogwoppit wrote:Sixgills most certainly have the potential to be deadly and have been suspects in a few deadly cases.

Really? Very slow moving, slow maturing, sharks mostly feeding on carrion. Do you have any online references for six gill attacks?

Wed May 10, 2017 10:54 am

From the FAO; "Not known to have attacked people without provocation; young will snap when captured"
Without provocation being the important bit here, they have the equipment to do serious damage and they don't like to be bothered. They will let you know in no uncertain terms if you cross a line, anybody with experience of them in the water will tell you that you don't mess with these guys like you might other species.
Saying that, I have first hand experience of a small one, maybe 4 or 5 feet attacking unprovoked.

FAO link; ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/ad122e/ad122e05.pdf

Tue May 16, 2017 7:32 pm

kieran wrote:
bogwoppit wrote:Sixgills most certainly have the potential to be deadly and have been suspects in a few deadly cases.

Really? Very slow moving, slow maturing, sharks mostly feeding on carrion. Do you have any online references for six gill attacks?
one of the latest river monsters episodes features six gills interesting watch .