Wexford - Mini Holiday

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:32 pm

Myself and Ben
Time: 2 days
Bait: Crab, Lug sandeel squid mussel
Rigs: 2 & 3 Hook Flapper.
Tide: 7 & 9
Wind: not too bad
Species: Cod, Dab, Dogfish, flounder, whiting and rockling.

So I had a few days off and decided to get away for a few days to the coast.

I headed to Rosslare sunday for some bait - Bunty fixed me up with some lug and crab, ready for use on the Monday - Wednesday. Had 20 odd crabs and 140 lug, some previous frozen sandeel, and some squid/mussel cocktails I have made previously and frozen.

I arrived down to the mark Monday night, flat calm sea and not too cold. Straight into a good flounder, followed by another, its about 6pm, darkness starting to arrive and high tide coming in about 7.

I had the dog with me, he's getting very old and frail now, not really able for the treks from the mobile to the beach, but makes the effort anyway, he doesnt hang around tho anymore, he heads back on his own to the warm when he see's im set up and ok, the excitement of the beach has wore off him.

So off he went and I get into some whiting and rockling. 2 Hook flappers coming back in full every 10-15 mins or so keeping me busy - I decide to switch to any dead lug I had to use it up and the fish didnt mind, in fact they came on more, i switch to 3 hooks and they fill too. the dogs start chasing my whiting and for the first time in my life I pull 6 fish on a 3 hook flapper - 3 whiting swallowed by 3 dogs. Actually delighted with it as the fight was pretty great, I thought I had a cod. Not yet though.

So im in or around 30 fish about 11pm and I get a tap tap tap - I presume another dog but nope it was my fist cod of the year - I presume in or around 3 lbs Absolutely delighted as I havn't been out in a good while.

I stay out for another 3/4 hrs due to the possibility of more but it wasnt to be. Back to base.

I have a few beers at the mobile, start doing a bit of work on the laptop and end up drinking a bottle of vodka - not good. Tuesday is a write off - apart from the fact the weather took a turn to wind and rain im DYING. Bed for me for the day - I get up and cook my cod - I must say it was absolutely delicious and just what the doctor ordered. The dog was happy with the day off too. I had forgotten to bring some nuts for him so I got him 3 tins of cat food - He seemed to enjoy it - until about 8pm where he motioned for the door and when let out proceeded to blow the back end out of himself! Not good!

Wednesday is a fine day weather wise, but the sea is pretty choppy now, not ideal but good enough. I fish the morning high tide for an hr or two and potter around for the rest of the day. SET UP SHOP AGAIN AT 6:30PM For the evening high tide.

More of the same was to follow - I hit a little dab first cast, can anyone tell me what the sore is? Diseased? More whiting and rockling - the rockling tonight were bursting open in the belly - very full fish whatever they were feeding on, a few small codling and one more decent one for me about 2lbs ish.

More doubles but no more cod were to show. I pack up and head back about 1am.

A good few days totalling about 60 fish at a guess. I really was not expecting that return but was very happy.

Cod 2

New Bally

Sore on Dab

Cod 1

Lovely day for it

Ardinn

Re: Wexford - Mini Holiday

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:52 pm

ardinn
nice report those little fat rockling you caught are pregnant females they give birth usually in late feb and march.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Ah right cool I was wondering why they were so huge. Thanks for that.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Two quality sessions, fair play.