Short Session - Dalriada, Co.Antrim 2/1/16

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Short Session - Dalriada, Co.Antrim 2/1/16

Postby chuckaroo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Having wasted good fishing time watching the Liverpool match :roll: I only had a short window to fish in before it got dark. The frozen and re-frozen lug, mack and prawn were grabbed from the freezer and chucked into the car with the rods.

On arrival the weather was very pleasant - overcast yes, but mild and with only very light rain which soon stopped completely. But a huge tide saw the pier completely flooded which made for somewhat tricky fishing, I arrived 2 hours before high water and even then the waves were coming over the top. I was eventually pushed back by the waves and to the back of the pier but it was fine, it was do-able and I managed.

A solitary coley, I'm sure over 1lb anyway, to show for my efforts despite missing a lot of small bites.

I couldn't have had th baits wet for much more than an hour but it was good to get out and get the air!

HNYear
Chuckaroo

Btw, can anyone identify the little diving bird? Sorry about the quality of the pic..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by chuckaroo on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: Short Session - Dalriada, Co.Antrim 2/1/16

Postby eoghanb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Young black gullimot?

For this message the author eoghanb has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm)
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby johnwest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Always good to get out Chuckaroo, and a nice coalie there. I'm surprised about that huge tide, I was out with the Apprentice (grandson) in Donegal the same night and the tide seemed to be very small. I think eoghanb has the bird species right though I think it might be an adult in winter plumage, bit late for juveniles?
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby corbyeire » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:37 pm

fair play on getting out - but you deserved it wasting fishing time watching those lot

dodgy looking pier
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 pm

eoghanb wrote:Young black gullimot?

johnwest wrote:Always good to get out Chuckaroo, and a nice coalie there. I'm surprised about that huge tide, I was out with the Apprentice (grandson) in Donegal the same night and the tide seemed to be very small. I think eoghanb has the bird species right though I think it might be an adult in winter plumage, bit late for juveniles?

thats maybe why there was no water in Donegal Paddy, the whole tide was in Red Bay that evening.. :lol: very rarely see the water as high as that on that pier.
yip, a black guillemot in winter plumage certainly seems to be case (in line with certain Google images anyway..), cheers

corbyeire wrote:fair play on getting out - but you deserved it wasting fishing time watching those lot

dodgy looking pier

thats Dalriada (Dál Riata) pier Brian, as of 'cuckoo ray fame' around the country.. never caught one there myself though. Dodgy yes, but only on that rare occasion when the tide was massive.
watching those lot right now for my sins, lol. would love to get through and meet yous lot at Wembly though!
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 pm

chuckaroo wrote:watching those lot right now for my sins, lol. would love to get through and meet yous lot at Wembly though!

i'll take that back.. "best team in the world"! lol
thats one foot in the the door of Wembley. Hopefully (doubt it) see yous there.. ;)
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports