Mullaghmore, Co.Sligo 28th April

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:17 am

Fished the evening flood tide on the strand with sandeel and razor. Didn't get a bite for the three hours I was there. Strong westerly had a big surf up from the night before, maybe too big. Plenty of terns and gannets around.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:24 pm

I am heading north west for a few days and hope to get out fishing for a night or two. I think I will avoide Mullaghmore and maybe have a go towards Strandhill.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:25 pm

Pete, I passed Mullaghmore on my way home yesterday and it was blowing a gale. Your a brave man fishing there at all in that weather, never mind actually hoping for fish!

Maybe I'm getting too old .....................................

Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:24 am

Lads, is anywhere in the North-West fishing well these days?

I have a few days off work this week to go fishing, but I haver no idea where the fish are, Very few reports...

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:44 am

Today I'd say Mullaghmore would produce, that surf should now be in perfect order. Was a bit big on Thursday and had alot of suspended sand in it. My theory (maybe just makin an excuse for blankin) is that the best surf is one that is dying down, say the second day after the blow. I've never had great fishing in a surf thats been a day or less old.

Talked to a fella from up there and he mentioned that a few flats were being caught from the breakwater and that some sea trout were being lifted at Streedagh, on sandeel mainly. He also told me that last year a local netter after rays caught a 17lb halibut just of Bundoran, the fishermen actually brought it up for him to weigh.

Arthur if your down my way shore angling soon then send us a pm and I'll try and join you.

Pete

Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:10 am

Pete said ''the best surf is one that is dying down, say the second day after the blow. I've never had great fishing in a surf thats been a day or less old.''

I could not agree more.

Peter