Lead

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:20 pm

Where would be the best place to get free or cheap lead for making weights.
Thanks

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:46 pm

a scrap yard or if you know someone who does demolition work they can get sheets of lead of old houses and the like.failing that any good roof ,only jokeing!!!!lol

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Would the lead from car batteries be any good or would it be ( even more ) unsafe to work with ? Even if you washed the acid off ?
cheers

PS I don't know why that * is appearing in the word "acid" . It shows as the intended normal spelling when I go into edit mode . Surely can't be PC censorship gone mad . After all , the site allows "LSD" , dunnit ? :shock:
Last edited by blowin on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:57 pm

lol! Lets all get high on Battery acid!

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Hi K2 , that's by far the fastest bite I've seen all year :lol:

Got any good trips organised ?

Sorry . Will shut up now .

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:17 pm

can the lead be melted on a normal electric cooker.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:29 pm

don,t even think about it. get a burner and a bottle of gas. gloves. goggles. crucible.moulds.mask. (or do it the hard way and buy them :roll: ) seriously David if you don,t know what you,re doing leave it. Its very dangerous cheers geomac

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:31 pm

Yip, I think I'll just buy.
Thanks for the advice.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:40 pm

i would agree with geomac it is very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing,so buy some to keep you going.if you go to rough ground use old spark plugs as weights ,rough ground can be sore on the numbers of leads you lose.

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:50 am

blowin wrote:Would the lead from car batteries be any good or would it be ( even more ) unsafe to work with ?

Don't know whether its safe or not but I used to make weights using lead from car batteries.

I would drain the acid then separate the sheets of lead & leave them to dry out. Once dry a few taps removes the chalky material embedded in the grids.

I did get the acid on a shirt before & a couple of hours later the shirt fell apart...

-Patrick

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:21 am

Please don't go messing around with car batteries - or lead for that matter. It takes a spilt second for an accident to happen. With car batteries, you have acid inside which will burn through human flesh. Hot lead will do the same. The vapours from both give long term damage to your lungs and are carcenogenic (cause cancer).

You only get one of everything on your body - one left eye, one right eye, etc. As it is very difficult to get spare parts, and very painful if you break something, take care of what you have - you really don't appreciate what you've got until it is gone! Believe me, I know!

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:45 pm

U need to get the lead up-to at least 300C closer to 400C for working it.....

and not on a normal electric cooker

car bats have a very low lead yeild........

dav

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:29 pm

300 and 400 degrees is a bit high for the normal user (couple of dozen leads a session) , the wee machines I have don't go near that and they churn out 100 of leadheads at a time.

Making Lead Weights

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:21 pm

A scrap dealer is the best source for cheap lead. Go for scrap lead sheeting if possible. It's easier to cut into small pieces for melting.

Scrap lead piping is usually cheaper but can contain water, which is very dangerous when melting lead: the water can become super-heated steam and explode propelling molten lead.........well you can get the drift of what could happen.

I would agree with IDPearl and steer well clear of car batteries. You are dealing with a very corrosive acid as well as moisture and the lead yield is low. Definitely not worth the risk or the effort.

Never melt lead indoors in the home. Lead fumes are a harmful substance with known toxicity. Kids are especially susceptible to lead toxicity so any residues in your kitchen after melting could be harmful.

I use a small gas stove in a very well-ventilated place, either outside when there is no risk of rain or drizzle (remember note above about water and molten lead). In poor weather, I melt lead in the garage with all the doors and windows open and making sure there is a good cross-flow of air that ensures that the lead fumes are carried away from the breathing zone. Using a lid on the melting pot reduces escape of lead fumes. Keep an eye on the flame though, to make sure it does not go out if the draught is too strong.

Always wear heavy gloves or gauntlets and make sure your arms are covered. I use a pair of safety glasses that I picked up fairly cheaply in a DIY store. If you can't get your hands on a suitable mask that will protect against lead fumes, then you should make sure that you are reduce exposure to the lead fumes (see above about cross flow and breathing zone etc.)

A crucible for melting lead a goodoption. Best of all is a small custom, electrically powered lead melting crucible. If you are using a pot for melting lead, go for a heavy iron or steel pot with a lid and a bolted handle. Aluminium pots are not up to the job of coping with the high temperatures used in melting lead. Welded handles that appear to be on a lot of pots and saucepans on the market are not advised. The combination of high heat and weight of lead can see these type of handles failing with disastrous results

Check flea markets and charity stores for old heavy iron pots or saucepans.

Again, make sure everything you use is absolutely dry

If you really are serious about making a large number of weights and have a few angling mates want to chip in with you, a Lee lead melter would be a good (and safer) investment. See link below for an example:

http://www.thegunshop.co.uk/reloaders-s ... elters.htm

I know that the above sounds very cautious but once you get into the routine of working safely with lead it will become second nature and not a hassle at all. I've been making my own lead weights for a few years now without any trouble.
Last edited by Esox lunatic on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Links

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:36 pm

Some links to previous lead based discussions -

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... 28&start=0

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... 29&start=0

:wink: