East Cork Fishing

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi, im trying to get back into a bit of fishing after a few years break...i never really tried any surf/beach fishing as im only 17 now so i didn't have the strength to cast big rods...just looking for some advice, i live in aghada and i know the usual spots whitebay,inch, ballybrannigan etc. and im willing to travel anywhere around the east cork area to places like ballinwilling, but im just looking for advice on:

1.Times i should be fishing?
2.Tide phases?
3.Distance i should cast?
4.Weather conditions?
5.Bait?

I dont have any particular species in mind, just looking to catch something other than the mullet, mackerel and winter codling i have targeted before
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: East Cork Fishing

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Any of those beeches will get you fish, start off with bass they are easiest on lure now but if you use bait you will catch flounder also.

Visit one of those beeches right now as teh tides are really low, spot a cropping of rock or weed... or better yet as the weather is hot got for a swim with a snorkle and mask and you will see where the weed / rocks are about 15-30m from the shore line in about 1-2m of water.

When the tide receedes the fish gather here, find that spot and you will find the fish.

Fish an hour before low to an 2 hours after for the best bass time (for that stretch...not the same every where...) and continue fishing as the flatties move closer.

Surf is not necessarily a better time to fish... the fish are there wether there is surf or not... but surf will dislodge food so your bait should be used. In clear calm waters they moslty eat sandeels and mackeral so rely on visual lures.

Other than that there are countless threads here but your best answer will come from experience, good luck and I might just see ya on one of those beeches ;)

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Excellent, thanks for all that advice, so to sum it up find a rocky/weedy patch and fish that near low tide with mackerel or sandeel bait and i should end up with a few flatties of maybe even bass? :)...to be honest i quite enjoy catching dogfish, any spots where they are in big numbers? :)
Thanks again :)

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Another Tip.

View the marks at low tide. If you can reach them set up your rod on its rest, (above the high tide mark) set the clutch so you can take of line (easily) take your lead and tackle out, leave it by the mark.

Attach either elasticated thread on the spool by your reel (or power gum). Mark on the beach by your position the direction (Groove LIne)
so that either in daylight/dark you know which direction/distance to cast to that particular point.
Particularly useful guide for sandbars/gulleys :idea: :idea: :idea:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Excellent idea, would have never thought of that thank you :)...any other tips from anybody in East Cork, looking for a bit of local knowledge?