Bait additives for Mullet

Sun May 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Having just started my Mullet fishing for the year I am once again considering whether or not to add stuff to the bread groundbait that I normally swear by. Now I have been down this road before mincing up Mackerel and using Pilchard oil, and the only consistent effect was to upset the wife and make people at work stay mostly upwind of me. I have also tried various expensive additives aimed at Carp anglers and this only had an impact on my bank balance. I just haven't found that they increase the catch rate. Maybe this is because I mostly fish in estuaries but even in the open sea bread seems to work as well as anything else. However there is one additive that is cheap and doesn't excessively smell that I do think works and this I am going to use again this year, sheep nuts. Now these are not the nuts off of a sheep, as I am sure you know sheep don't have nuts. They are an agricultural food supplement that is used to feed sheep. They are sweetened and have a malty smell. The problem with them is that you can only buy them in large sacks. I had one of these and used sheep nuts in ground bait with, I think, some success. They also attracted rats to our garden shed so the wife banned them. This year I have a source of smaller amounts from a friend so I will once again give them a go. Anyone else have an opinion on groundbait additives?

Cheers
Jon

Re: Bait additives for Mullet

Sun May 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Sheep do have nuts there called rams.

Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 pm

I will bow to your greater agricultural knowledge JG thanks for putting me right

Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

get a whole loaf of bread not a sliced one,cut a small hole in it and get your hand in and scoup out the bread put a hand granade or similar explosive device in the middle pull the pin ,add it to the water and run away ,return after the explosion and your mullet will be easey to get even with just a net although i,v had great results with the fly rod to winkle out the bigger ones :mrgreen: ,another alternative is to get some vallium and do it the way you have been ,MULLET I LOVE EM!! :wink:

Sun May 29, 2011 4:31 pm

roger de dodger wrote:get a whole loaf of bread not a sliced one,cut a small hole in it and get your hand in and scoup out the bread put a hand granade or similar explosive device in the middle pull the pin ,add it to the water and run away ,return after the explosion and your mullet will be easey to get even with just a net although i,v had great results with the fly rod to winkle out the bigger ones :mrgreen: ,another alternative is to get some vallium and do it the way you have been ,MULLET I LOVE EM!! :wink:

:lol: