Constructive Isolation

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:24 pm

Been enjoying the time to get a few hours a day on various beaches while herself has been working in the house. Very little to show for it, one decent flounder at 33cm from Morriscastle and a few pin whiting, only one decent one over 30cm, from Dodd's Rock. Can't complain too much for daylight sessions though! And I spent most of it with big baits out hoping for some rampaging bigger fish. God loves a trier!

I did get to play around with a new rig I've been meaning to try though. It's a loop rig with a long enough bottom snood and a pennel setup on it, and a smaller hook at the top. Means I can fish a big worm and shellfish or fish cocktail bait hard on the bottom and have a smaller worm or crab bait on top just to see what's out there.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Constructive Isolation

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Thats a decent flounder .
Good stuff

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:23 am

33cm good for the time of year. Hard month or 2 we're in. That rig sounds interesting though I have in my head that the top pennel hook might tangle the mainline? Maybe not.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 am

No, no issues with the pennel hook. It sits quite low and long from the lead. It's intended as a see what's out there rig for bigger fish so the top hook is still a 1/0 or 2/0 varivas BM. That flounder came to a small crab bait on a 2/0. It works well for getting a lot of bait out in murky water for maximum scent. Here it is with a whole squid and a small mackerel fillet on the pennel made of 4/0 BMX with a 3/0 Chinu on the top hook, and a 2/0 BM with a bundle of rag on top. Casts well too with that volume of bait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Class Dave, good fishing in these odd times. I've been using it to try out a few new marks, still catching the same flounders and dogs! It won't be long now until .... :D
I've read a lot about the loop rig but never tried it, I think I need one of those bait clips for the top of the rig. Some new homework...
Cheers

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:35 pm

I'd only love a big heap of dogs at this stage. Anything but dragging in whiting and small shite. Roll on anything that pulls back.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Also used the time at low tide for a bit of reconnaissance on one of my favourite cod venues. That rough ground could well feature a few huss or conger to fish baits.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 am

Continuing the theme, hit up a Wexford beach this evening and had a class session with six bass from 43cm to somewhere shy of 60cm (too big and lively to get an accurate measure) and a 49cm codling, which is going to make a fine meal tomorrow. All the bass went back, though the biggest one had me worried, took a while to be revived and swim off.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:40 am

Super fishing. Well done!

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am

Excellent fishing pal fair play to ya!

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm

Brilliant! Some great fish there well done

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Dave F wrote:Continuing the theme, hit up a Wexford beach this evening and had a class session with six bass from 43cm to somewhere shy of 60cm (too big and lively to get an accurate measure) and a 49cm codling, which is going to make a fine meal tomorrow. All the bass went back, though the biggest one had me worried, took a while to be revived and swim off.

Unreal

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Heading that direction myself tomorrow. Havn't decided on the spot yet

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 pm

Gardai are closing the beaches up in Donegal. No fishing for the foreseeable

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Great fishing!!! Well done on the catch and release of those wonderful Bass. Tasty looking Cod!!
Very promising report