Photo Comp Jan 2009 - The Final - Vote Now

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Following a strong entry the finalists are listed for your voting pleasure. Polling will close Tues Feb 10.

And the nominees are:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Photo Comp Jan 2009 - The Final - Vote Now

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Nice and all as they all are, its got to be century man and the blank. So much in that pic, you can nearly feel the pain :-)

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 pm

This is only held here until going live!!!

Will move it later.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:26 am

Hi Guys,

I think we should just pop in a top 5... makes things much easier. 6 is a wierd number :)

Please see my comments on "clifden Bay"

I think the winner should have to send the original digital image plus the image they would like to print to petewex, Jim and myself and state camera and make. We can check the exif data off the camera. This will just check that the submitter has the original in his possession. Doesn't verify how took it, but well go on their word.

Here is my comments on the pictures nominated by Jim.

Aurelien: Killiney -
(Jim) - a nice clear picture
(kev) Not bad. Nice exposure, looks like a camera phone shot. Lots of noise in the Sky so might not print very well. Framing could be better with some more beach in the foreground.

Gfkelly: Clifden bay –
(jim) nice busy picture plenty happening fore and back
(Kev) Excellent picture and a bit too good when compared to the other shots submitted, especially because its a very small picture and the others submitted are quite a bit bigger.... I doubt the origins, but I could be very wrong.

Cormdogg: Lobster –
(Jim) a great opportunist snap
(Kev) Yeah nice shot, I doubt he wants a framed print, but a well timed shot.

Ronald: Neil at Garryvoe –

(jim) nice colours, movement well captured
(Kev) excellent shot and really well Framed. Just being picky, but I think the picture should have been straightened before it was cropped to give a straight horizon. Otherwise an very good picture.

CountryJimbo: Bigwaves
(Jim nice snap, is there too much foreground? and the very tip of the splash not in frame?
(JD) I agree with most of Jim's but would maybe substitute - ifitswims poolbeg
(Kev) yep good pic, but a bit too much foreground, worth considering though.

Fishermannum1: Fight (last pic) –
(Jim) nice colours (could be just me on a grey winters day!)
Nothing special about this one for me....sorry Jim. Could have been better with a low angle or a shot from the front.

Centuryman: Blank –
(jim) nice snap all in focus
(Kev) Nice shot, sky is a bit washed out, but mot much could be done about that.

Kev's thoughts

Oneillphil - "always look over your shoulder" This one keeps getting my eye... Could be a lot better with a better exposure and framing, but I think it should be in a top 5 or whatever amount of pics we submit for poll.

Ifitswims Dawn Bassing..... nice picture with an excellent exposure and Crop

Doggie3131 - Snow in Lecanvey - Very good pic, excellent exposure, Should have a bit more beach in the Horizon for better framing.

DannyM "south Wexford" Nice picture....again, a straigh thorizon would help a lot.

My tops 5 - Guys I am trying to come at this from an Angling perspective, as this is what the site is about, but there are one or two landscapes that are worth considering, especially - (Doggie3131 - Snow in Lecanvey - Very good pic, excellent exposure, Should have a bit more beach in the foreground for better framing.)

Ok,

1 - Ifitswims: "Dawn Bassing" ............ - he already has a print of Poolbeg as it is a picture of a picture :)
2 - Ronald: "Neil at Garryvoe"
3 - Gfkelly: "Clifden bay" .........but
4 - Centuryman: "Blank"
5 - Oneillphil - "always look over your shoulder"

Just my 2c

Kev

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 am

If we are struggling to decide, it might be worth scoring the mods top 10.

10 point for 1st place and 1 point for 10th....

Top 5 scoring pics are put forward.

Again, just my 2c

Kev

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:06 am

We're probably better off restricting the number of options if each person has only one vote, given the relkatively small number of people who'll probably vote in this.

Good point re Poolbeg

so as Mac says

1 - Ifitswims: "Dawn Bassing" ............
2 - Ronald: "Neil at Garryvoe"
3 - Centuryman: "Blank"
4 - Oneillphil - "always look over your shoulder"

Point taken re Clifden Bay,but exif says it is a sony dsc-t70 (I know there are exif editors)

I'd be inclined to include it as well, in good faith..

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:38 am

Grand job! I'll put up those five and we'll see how it goes.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:41 pm

I amended poll to finish on Wednesday 11th.