soft vs hard plastics for bass

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

soft vs hard plastics for bass

Postby Tightlines2015 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Hi All,, new to the forum, thought I'd send my first post. There seems to be lots of difference of opinion regarding soft vs hard lures method for successfully catching bass. Some anglers seem to dismiss soft plastic lures and will only use plugs as if this approach requires more skill or technique?. Then there's the cost factor with quality hard plastics retailing at 4 times that of quality soft lures. I am not even going to include flies or metals ...do you base your choice of lure on water conditions, any thoughts on this subject?
Tightlines2015
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: soft vs hard plastics for bass

Postby Bassy Tom » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:11 am

Hi Tightlines,

Personally i always carry both. I prefer the soft plastics and have had more bass on them but have also had quality bass on the hard lures.
The conditions and location will dictate for me weather to use hard or soft plastics. Also the time of year is a big factor. I fish the soft plastics a lot more at the start and the end of the season. Logic being that they can be fished deeper and slower that the hard plastics which seems to entice more strikes when the water is a little bit colder and the fish a little less energetic.

Here is a quick list of the lures that i ALWAYS bring on a Bass trip.

Megabass Zonk Gataride Hi Pitch
IMA SF-125
IMA Nabarone
Savage Gear Sandeel 16g
Savage Gear Sandeel Slug
Hawg Wild 6" Senko
Fish Arrow Flash J

These are all Lethal for Bass when the conditions are right.

Tom.
Bassy Tom
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby kieran » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:36 pm

As a general rule people tend to use the hard lures first and switch to the softer lures, the theory being that the harder lures make a more forceful and disruptive impact on landing in the water. Others argue that the soft plastics impart a more realistic movement...

Its hard to subscribe to the hard impact theory since pike are attracted to a lure impact on the water surface and there seems no reason why salt water predators would be any different. That said, I have seen and experienced soft lures taking Pollack and Coalfish from the same water where hard lures have failed only seconds previously when fished at the same depth and in roughly the same manner.

There are not enough bass in Mayo to give you any direction, I've had a few (very few, sniffs :cry: ) on each but would add your good old fashioned bass bullets to Tom's list. Especially valuable when you need a really long cast to reach outlying areas...

Add lure savers and 10 metres of slightly lighter bs fluorocarbon mono (to end your braid) to your kit... they'll save you a lot of grief.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Tightlines2015 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Cheers for the very informative info ,, from my limited experience catching bass I completely agree with your views on soft plastics out fishing their hard body counterparts most of the time and especially when conditions are tough. Maybe soft plastics are not as attractive to see in your tackle collection as the colourful and detailed plugs but when they hit the water it's a different story - with a little imagination you can definitely make them dance (or crawl). Some anglers will always opt for hard body lures as they find the fishing experience is more enjoyable , I wouldn't rule out any lure presentation and believe all have their place and time .

Tom ,, I don't see any surface lures on your list ??
Tightlines2015
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Bassy Tom » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Tom ,, I don't see any surface lures on your list ??

I have very little experience with the surface lures im afraid, but that is something i will be changing later this year. If i had to choose one, from my limited experience and what most others i fish with tell me, then the IMA Skimmer would be the firs surface lure in my box.

I think you are spot on about the hard v soft plastics too. Some lads just dont have the patience for some of the soft lures, especially when using a weedless weightless crawl retrieve.
Bassy Tom
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Crevan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Both work effectively.

As said above, for me, it depends on location and the terrain which Im fishing over.

Soft plastics (SPs) are very versatile and depending on the retrieve can be fished over the surface, mid water or bumped along the bottom. SPs are capable of being fished into areas where youd never consider throwing a hard lure, into serious rocky or weedy terrain (where fish lie). They have the added ability of being fished weedless, allowing for the hook point to be unexposed to snagging.

Id always carry a selection when heading fishing.
Favourites for me include
Megabass Xlayer
Illex i shad and i shad tail
Sluggo
and the very under rated but highly effective Storm Sand Eel.
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby Tightlines2015 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:08 pm

As mentioned, without doubt, the correct soft plastic lures fished under the right conditions are killer and will produce fish before hard baits most times. Not saying that hard lures do not have their place in the tackle box too as they have their allure for fish and certainly have the capacity to be angler catchers! Joking aside, you have got to love the selection of lures available these days, almost too much, haven't used those ( good value ) storm eels yet, but will give them a try this year.

In my opinion, another small point (excuse the pun) regarding soft plastic lures is that fishing a lure with one single hook inflicts far less trauma and damage to the fish - I just hate treble hooks, so messy for anglers too. I know you can replace trebles with singles but still a few hooks there to snag everything in close proximity, including fish's eyes etc. In saying all this, I still intend to master the art of surface lures this season! Not sure re: IMA lure mentioned by Tom, sometimes think we are lead to believe the best lure is whichever one is currently being promoted by the tackle marketing rep.

Great to hear from like-minded anglers!
Tightlines2015
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Crevan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:45 am

There's a few threads on surface lures already just do a search. My advice get an Illex Bonnie in Bone colour (128 size) or I've had good success on a yellow backed Patchinko.
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Bassy Tom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:12 am

Crevan wrote:There's a few threads on surface lures already just do a search. My advice get an Illex Bonnie in Bone colour (128 size) or I've had good success on a yellow backed Patchinko.

I have a bonnie in Ayu, What conditions does it fish best in and do you fish it in eastuary or rocky shore Crevan?
Bassy Tom
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Tightlines2015 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Yes lots of info available on surface lures. What about lucky craft Sammy or gunfish. I hear that one of the larger specimen bass caught in Ireland last year was landed with a gunfish, not sure what colour but would imagine it's more the action /movement in the water that is the main factor?

Could be wrong but think the surface lures work best in estuary terrain, although can see the advantages of working these lures over rocky Snaggy ground too.

Has anyone used the delalande swat shads, look similar enough to the black minnow
Tightlines2015
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Crevan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi Tom
I chuck it anywhere!!

Fire it up the estuary and allow it to come down/in with the current. Twitching and PAUSING occasionally.

For the rocky shore I aim to bring it over structure (have a look-see on low water to see what is there) or in and around submerged rocks, weed etc.

I find that an erratic type retrieve with pauses produces the better responses from the fish. But thats not to say that Ive not had fish on a straightforward walk the dog type approach....

@Tightlines
Dont restrict yourself to fishing surface lures in estuaries. They are highly effective from the rocky shores too. Sammys and Gunfish while not "currently popular" are all time classics and will take fish too. Ive 2 Sammys in my box AT ALL TIMES!!

Some advice: Dont be going out and buying all around you. Lures catch more fishermen than fish. Stick with proven fish catchers as mentioned in a few threads here and master those.
I used to have 50-60+ different hard lures. Ive whittled that down to less than 20, bringing only a selected few to each mark.
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Tightlines2015 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:23 am

Crevan I have to say 'fare play' . That info you passed on to myself, Tom and Co was really honest and very useful for anglers looking to progress into surface lures . Information is power and probably why some anglers are reluctant to share their knowledge of lure fishing tactics. Roll on the new year, sea looked so tempting today - won't be long now .
Tightlines2015
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Lure Fishing