Can this cast

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 pm

I am thinking if getting a spin rod for bass instead of a bait caster. But the worry I have is that the 9' spin rod I'm looking at with 25-50gramme weight(roughly) would be able to cast out behind my beachs surf. It is very rough at times and sometimes has even 4-5 breakers on it. Will the spin rod of this weighted lure be able to cast out that far. Thank you

So what I'm asking is would a 50g lure be able to cast out to the bass from my beach. I am looking for a rod rated for this casting strength.

Thanks,
olwas2014

Re: Can this cast

Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:37 pm

50g lure is massive for casting. What on earth do you intend chucking about?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:10 pm

What weight do you recommend for bass as the rod is 25-50 grams I'm just worried it wouldn't cast

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Olwas, you could well find that you won't be able to cast 90% of bass lures, as they are less than 25g, and won't load the rod. When I was starting off, I had a heavy spinning rod and was wondering why I couldn't cast anything worth a damn. The good folks here informed me that my rod was weighted completely wrong for casting bass lures.

Bass lures will range from (heaviest) about 30g (metal lures like kiltys, and the Patchinko surface lure) down through 20g (most hard plastic lures) to soft plastics which might only weigh 10g.

Now you can spend any God's amount of money on a rod, but what you are looking for is something that covers your bases well enough. My own rod is rated 10-30g casting weight and it does the job.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Long rod, thin braid!!