bass lure

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

bass lure

Postby Johndory16 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 pm

I don't often lure fish for bass so if anyone would like to pass on what lures are the best it would be much appreciated as I don't have a clue about lures but would like to give it a go.
Johndory16
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Re: Bass lure

Postby lowie69 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:39 pm

Feed shallow mullet and p 14 colour m8 patchenko , Zonked gaterade , fish black minnow , Ima salt skimmer there's a few good 1s
bass PB 10 lb , thornback ray PB 11lb, smooth hound PB 12lb, cod PB 9lb wish list for this year turbot painted ray undulate ray nd gilt head bream
lowie69
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 41 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby sailnfish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:32 am

In terms of SPs, The illex nitro shads , savage gear sandeels, Senkos, and fiiish black minnows are my personal favourites but its a highly subjective topic :) My hard lures are not getting as much use these days
Fish away mad
sailnfish
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:26 am

The above are all fine lures and I have several of them (and many, many more!!) in my bag, but if you are only starting out I would suggest you start off with metals until you gain some confidence. Kilty's/Hansen Strippers/Toby's etc around the 15-25g mark would give you a great chance of latching onto some fish. I would also suggest switching to braid - something like Power Pro or suffix 832 (20lb b.s.) are cheap but very good and once you are used to using it, it makes a world of difference to your lure fishing. Nothing wrong with 10lb mono mind you!

Give the metals (and maybe braid) a go and as you gain experience and assuming you enjoy it, you can then start to look to build up your gear and move onto plugs & softs.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby Camcolite » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 pm

What rod are you using and what is it rated to?

What kind of ground are you fishing ? deep, shallow, sand, rock, kelp etc.

Those answers will help people give you good answers.

For this message the author Camcolite has received thanks:
Deise boy (Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:27 am)
Camcolite
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby eoghanb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:40 pm

If ye only could have one lure I'd pick a Kilty any day :D
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby shortcircuit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:41 pm

This is my take: not that I'm an expert!! When I started out I was losing loads of lures as I was fishing different lures at the wrong kind of marks meaning I was losing loads of lures.That is very disheartening when you are starting out.

Anyway, here's my take

Shallow rocky ground,little weed: shallow diving lure like a feed shallow or similar.the ground can be really shallow but if there are weeds they will snag or just cover the lure and impair the action.

weedy areas-best to use soft plastics rigged weedless. With or without additional weight/jig head. Google it or do a search here.

Really weedy areas -weightless weedless soft plastics. This means using a soft plastic with no additional weight.reduces possibility of a snag to almost zero. I have retrieved weedless weightless wave worms/senkos through absolute forests no problem.

Clean bottom ( estuaries etc)-dont have the opportunity much myself due to the marks I fish.from what I know good examples would be

Savage gear sandeel, straight retrieve.

Black minnow -sink and draw, or bump back along the bottom.

X Layer.trot with current using a jig head.pick the jig head weight so that the current is just enough to move the lure every second or two.

Don't go and buy every single lure!Get a couple and get confident with them

Good luck!

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks:
donal domeney (Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Return to Lure Fishing