Lures for bass advise please

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Lures for bass advise please

Postby daithi1978 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm looking for some help. I have only recently started to spin for bass and I want to find out if there is any particular lure that woks best. I have recently invested in 2 yo Zuri crystal minnows that I intend to tryout on Friday. They are expensive is there a cheaper alternative? Any help much appreciated.
daithi1978
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Lures for Bass advise please

Postby Mozza » Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi Daithi, buy a couple of packs of Savage Gear sandeel's, 23g is the weight that work's for me. They are around 7 euro for a pack of 2 bodies with one jig head and they come in lots of different colours, green is my favourite.
Mozza
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 49 times

Postby roooster » Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 pm

if i could only choose one lure to bring with me fishing i would have to pick a savage-gear sandeel too..
i like the white one the best,although they have some new colors out this year that look nice
roooster
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby colin08 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Daithi I guess you need to take into consideration where you will be fishing. Bass normally feed in the shallows after sprat and small crabs. If shallow then you should be looking at IMA Sasuke and Tackle House Feed shallows. As already mentioned the Savage Gear sandeel is proven and the Megabass XLayer.
Species List 2015

Sea Trout, Bass, Turbot

For this message the author colin08 has received thanks:
daithi1978 (Thu May 08, 2014 8:09 am)
colin08
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby hugo » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 am

Agree with the above advice. I got a couple of YZ crystal minnows years ago and only ever caught one schoolie with them, and that was in near pitch darkness. Then I took them on a holiday to the Far East and caught loads with them in the murky waters over there. My conclusion: they're way too flash for the vodka-clear shallows of an Irish "summer", you're better off with more natural coloured lures. Even the humble gulp sandeel rigged weedless does better for me.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby agardiner22 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:04 am

I concur with all of the above :wink: :wink: :wink:
Always CAR! unless its a pollock...!

2012 species: Pollock, Mack, Coalfish, Gurnard, Bullhuss, Dogfish and Wrasse.
Would do anything for a bass!
agardiner22
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 68 times

Postby Eoghan » Thu May 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Sorry to disagree gents but the crystal minnow is a legend lure. I could add another 20 or more similar pics to the ones below. Most if not all caught in clear water and on sunny days. Its one of my "dont leave home without one" lures.
Just have to be confident you will catch with it.

I would stick with it Daithi. They run shallow enough and I have honestly never lost one. Well technically I did but I got it back at low water. :-)
Attachments
yozuri5.jpg
yozuri5.jpg (215.31 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
yozuri4.jpg
yozuri3.jpg
yozuri3.jpg (231.21 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
yozuri2.jpg
yozuri2.jpg (248.12 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
yozuri1.jpg
yozuri1.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz

For this message the author Eoghan has received thanks: 2
daithi (Wed May 14, 2014 8:15 pm), Richie07 (Thu May 08, 2014 8:32 pm)
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Postby hugo » Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Holy sh*t...... and I converted mine into handles for bathroom pull-cord switches.... :shock:
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby thecatcher » Thu May 08, 2014 7:20 pm

White wave worms are deadly and cheap as well.
thecatcher
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby Richie07 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:29 pm

daithi1978 wrote:I'm looking for some help. I have only recently started to spin for Bass and I want to find out if there is any particular lure that woks best. I have recently invested in 2 yo Zuri crystal minnows that I intend to tryout on Friday. They are expensive is there a cheaper alternative? Any help much appreciated.

There are plenty of lures that will work, some have been mentioned, but just because you have a good lure on does not mean you are guaranteed to catch. First of all you have to fish in the right spot and then you have to use the lure in the right way, for me the action of the lure is more important than the colour and this is why I would avoid very cheap lures as the action on them are useless, even though they might look great, you get what you pay for. The crystal minnows are good, have had a few on them but the action on them is not quite right for me, the zonk, feed shallow and Maria chase are far superior, that's just my opinion though. But if you are new to lure fishing I would stick to sub surface hard body lures before you move onto SP's and walk the dog type lures. If you don't feel confident with the lure you are using you will lose concentration and interest.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby Ronnach » Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Don't forget the metal lures, they are cheaper than hard plastics and can at times out-fish plugs. I caught my first 5 or so bass on the brilliant silver 1oz. Toby (Abu Garcia brand). The kilty is also lauded as a brilliant metal lure for bass. The advantage of metals are extra casting distance, but also extra target species - as they will be taken by mackerel, pollock, sea trout and garfish also.

The problem with metals of course though, is that if you are fishing shallow reefy / rocky / weedy ground (which bass love), metals are often not really suitable as you're going to get snagged very quickly. If however you are fishing onto sand eg. from rocks at edge of a beach, or at an estuary mark, then you are usually safe enough using metals and not losing them.

As time goes on, I am bringing less and less lures with me on a session targetting bass - all I would bring now is 2-3 soft plastic lures (Slug-go, Savage Gear Sandeel), 2 plugs (eg. 1 Feed Shallow and 1 other shallow diving lure), and 2 metals (1 Toby and 1 Kilty). And this is probably still bringing too much...
Fishy Tales:
http://ronnach.wordpress.com

2011 Species:
Coalie, Doggie, Bass, Ballan Wrasse, Flounder, Pollock, Mackerel, Launce

2012 Species:
Coalie, Doggie, Bass, Ballan Wrasse, Pollock, Mackerel, Launce

2013 Species:
Coalie, Pollock, Bass, Mackerel

2014 Species:
Launce, Pollock, Coalie, Bass, Cod, Mackerel, Whiting, Doggie, Conger
Ronnach
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby lowie69 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:32 am

what type is that crystal minnow model number ?
bass PB 10 lb , thornback ray PB 11lb, smooth hound PB 12lb, cod PB 9lb wish list for this year turbot painted ray undulate ray nd gilt head bream
lowie69
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 41 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby stevo74 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 am

Green kilty and the copper/silver one too...
Species list 2011 - Bass, Dab, Rockling, Dogfish,Common Smooth hound, Starry Smooth hound,whiting,pollock
stevo74
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 64 times

Return to Lure Fishing