Tales of woe and misery - Rods !

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:27 pm

About a month back my beloved Mike Ladle 1010Pro broke in the butt after 18 months use. I was sick as a dog. I took the opportunity to try a new rod and bought a Grauvel Teklon Concept. I didn't like the feel of it and so returned it and exchanged it for a new 1010Pro.

The whole process has taken nearly a month and I haven't been able to fish properly since my original 1010 broke. However today my replacement M.Ladle 1010Pro arrived and I couldn't wait to get out fishing and get back to normal as well as try out some new lures I've bought in the meantime while waiting to get my new rod.

I finished work early and started fishing at 3.30pm, at 4.00pm I cast and BANG! The tip broke on my new 1010Pro...... :cry:

For Gods' sake ! Now I don't know what to do. Do I get another 1010pro and put this down to bad luck or do I get another rod.... ? If I get another rod I cannot afford £300-£400 plus for a Branzino or Red Rod. Does anyone know of a good reliable rod in the 10 - 11' range £130 - 160 ? I saw a Greys 11' Sea Spin (GSS010) - is this any good ? I want a nice powerful rod that will give me distance.

HELP !

Re: Tales of woe and misery - Rods !

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 pm

if you liked the 1010 so much in the first place you should definitely send this new one back, get a replacement and fish hard with it again

you have to be entitled to your money back otherwise

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:41 pm

corbyeire wrote:if you liked the 1010 so much in the first place you should definitely send this new one back, get a replacement and fish hard with it again

you have to be entitled to your money back otherwise

I am very confident that I will get a replacement or my money. I've no worries about that. It's simply shall I get another replacement or another make ? Problem is you do tend to lose confidence in a rod when this happens, naturally. :roll:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:48 am

If I were you Id steer clear of that rod as thats hardly a reliable record. To break once maybe bad luck but breaking twice would be enough for me. Greys rods come with a lifetime guarantee which is handy if they break. I haven't used the Greys Sea Spin so I don't know what there like. I would suggest a Diawa Whisker Spin as it would be a similar type of rod to what you have and are very reliable http://www.henrystackleshop.com/product ... cts_id=501. I have the cheaper Diawa Regal Spin which I won years ago and it is a brilliant rod.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm

flynnboy wrote:I saw a Greys 11' Sea Spin (GSS010) - is this any good ? I want a nice powerful rod that will give me distance.

HELP !

I have that rod. In my opinion they are very good rods but that model is just too long and heavy for spinning, not good if you're hopping around rocks and if you're using it for a long time the rod gets heavier, and fishing is not very comfortable when you're arms start to ache, its got a casting weight of 90g, the weight is more important than the length plus you will get the same distance from an 8ft 40g rod and its more fun aswell when you catch.
I only use the Greys rod now if Im down in Clare wrasse fishing, which is only once a year and I find the rod excellent for this, I imagine it would be goot for feathering for and hour or so but I don't do feathers.

P.S. I just saw that you didn't like the tecklon rod, which is waht I have and can't fault it, so maybe the Greys 11ft rod would feel better in your hands.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Richie07 wrote:
flynnboy wrote:I saw a Greys 11' Sea Spin (GSS010) - is this any good ? I want a nice powerful rod that will give me distance.

HELP !

I have that rod. In my opinion they are very good rods but that model is just too long and heavy for spinning, not good if you're hopping around rocks and if you're using it for a long time the rod gets heavier, and fishing is not very comfortable when you're arms start to ache, its got a casting weight of 90g, the weight is more important than the length plus you will get the same distance from an 8ft 40g rod and its more fun aswell when you catch.
I only use the Greys rod now if Im down in Clare wrasse fishing, which is only once a year and I find the rod excellent for this, I imagine it would be goot for feathering for and hour or so but I don't do feathers.

P.S. I just saw that you didn't like the tecklon rod, which is waht I have and can't fault it, so maybe the Greys 11ft rod would feel better in your hands.

The 8' Teklon just could not match the casting distance of the 1010pro (10'10")

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:27 pm

flynnboy wrote:
Richie07 wrote:

HELP !

The 8' Teklon just could not match the casting distance of the 1010pro (10'10")

I can get 60-80 yards out of the Tecklon with a rarenium 4000 and this is as far as I want to cast, you don't need to go any further when you're lure fishing imo. I suppose everybody has a different casting range and if you feel a bigger rod does it for you then fair enough.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 pm

The mail order Co. I bought my rod from have no problem in replacing the broken section. I am putting this down to bad luck and giving it another go. Apart from the unfortunate incident with the break I have been really very happy with the 1010Pro. So, I'll give it another chance and see what happens....

Thanks for all of the advice guys

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:36 pm

as far as I'm aware the Mike Ladle was built on earlier versions of these blanks - http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/4619/Shim ... -Rods.html

they might be useful to you as a back up for your fishing preferences

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 pm

@flynnboy

I also had the Mike Ladle 101 Pro and the tip section of my rod broke - twice!The first time I put it down to mistreatment of the rod by me (walking along with rod and sometimes bumping tip of rod into ground whilst walking - bad..), but the 2nd time it broke (just a month after getting rod tip section replaced) on landing a 3lb pollock. Again the 2nd time it broke I kind of put it down to my fault (I lifted fish from water with rod as opposed to hand-lining it up or using a net).

Veals said they can replace the rod tip for me again, but not for free as the manufacturer's warranty would not cover the situation where you use the rod to lift a fish out of the water... But I just couldn't come to terms with coughing up another £40 for another rod tip section which may also break...

BTW If you happen to have any spare unbroken tip sections from the rods that broke on you I'd be interested!

I know of one other person who has had a section of the 1010 Pro break, so it is just starting to look like a pattern to me :(

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Ronnach wrote:@flynnboy

I also had the Mike Ladle 101 Pro and the tip section of my rod broke - twice!The first time I put it down to mistreatment of the rod by me (walking along with rod and sometimes bumping tip of rod into ground whilst walking - bad..), but the 2nd time it broke (just a month after getting rod tip section replaced) on landing a 3lb pollock. Again the 2nd time it broke I kind of put it down to my fault (I lifted fish from water with rod as opposed to hand-lining it up or using a net).

Veals said they can replace the rod tip for me again, but not for free as the manufacturer's warranty would not cover the situation where you use the rod to lift a fish out of the water... But I just couldn't come to terms with coughing up another £40 for another rod tip section which may also break...

BTW If you happen to have any spare unbroken tip sections from the rods that broke on you I'd be interested!

I know of one other person who has had a section of the 1010 Pro break, so it is just starting to look like a pattern to me :(

Bo!!ocks. I hope not !

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:43 am

Ronnach wrote:@flynnboy
Again the 2nd time it broke I kind of put it down to my fault (I lifted fish from water with rod as opposed to hand-lining it up or using a net).

Veals said they can replace the rod tip for me again, but not for free as the manufacturer's warranty would not cover the situation where you use the rod to lift a fish out of the water...

that is crazy - you cant lift the fish out of the water with your rod - what bloody use is that rod!

in theory how would you say fight a sea trout that was bounding out of the water and the pressure snaps this, by all accounts useless tip?

seems off the wall to me - if thats the rods policy - it would want to be cleary stated before i would purchase it - which i would not :evil:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 am

corbyeire wrote:that is crazy - you cant lift the fish out of the water with your rod - what bloody use is that rod!

I would tend to agree C. Having said that I have lifted many 3lb + fish out of the water with that same rod and never had a problem. What else can you do if you're up on a rock and can't reach down to get the fish ?! It seems that they might be a bit hit&miss...... I never had any kind of problem with it until just recently. Well I should get my replacement tip this week and so I shall wait and see what happens. It does unfortunately make your fishing a little more stressful wondering if your rod is going to break any minute :cry: :!:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:18 pm

dangler wrote:If I were you Id steer clear of that rod as thats hardly a reliable record. To break once maybe bad luck but breaking twice would be enough for me. Greys rods come with a lifetime guarantee which is handy if they break. I haven't used the Greys Sea Spin so I don't know what there like. I would suggest a Diawa Whisker Spin as it would be a similar type of rod to what you have and are very reliable http://www.henrystackleshop.com/product ... cts_id=501. I have the cheaper Diawa Regal Spin which I won years ago and it is a brilliant rod.

i have daiwa regal 10-40g spin aswell,briliant rod for price,landed 6lb bass no problem,cast 18g lures well,only one thing is bad they kind of heavy(300g)

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

corbyeire wrote:that is crazy - you cant lift the fish out of the water with your rod - what bloody use is that rod!

This was the message from Veals word for word:
..We have been in touch with the suppliers and they have advised us that lifting large fish is outside of the rods design parameter and the excessive load can cause a rod to fail. We would suggest that anything much bigger than a normal mackerel should really be netted or hand lined rather than lifted on a spinning rod...

I agree, it seems crazy. I only lifted the fish about 3 foot to land it, and the tip section broke when the fish was mid-air.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Ronnach wrote:

This was the message from Veals word for word:
..We have been in touch with the suppliers and they have advised us that lifting large fish is outside of the rods design parameter and the excessive load can cause a rod to fail. We would suggest that anything much bigger than a normal mackerel should really be netted or hand lined rather than lifted on a spinning rod...

I agree, it seems crazy. I only lifted the fish about 3 foot to land it, and the tip section broke when the fish was mid-air.

Sounds to me like a bloody good excuse they've made up on the spot. So what is the force of trying to release a line jammed on rock, at the very least 3lb + I'd say and so the rod is not supposed to be able take that without breaking..... hardly likely. If it happens again tell them it broke when you were casting, that'll sort them out. 3lb is nothing :shock:

Woops, also meant to say, if that is true and it's beyond the 'design parametres' of the rod, then how come mine didn't break ever lifting 'large' fish out of the water. In the end after 18 months hard work it was my butt that went during a cast.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 pm

I know it's a rubbish explanation from Veals, like you said I should have just told them the tip section broke during casting or something :( I am much more conscious ever since though about lifting a fish from the water with the rod (I've been mostly handlining fish up, or scarpering down rocks to land fish by hand since).

Woops, also meant to say, if that is true and it's beyond the 'design parametres' of the rod, then how come mine didn't break ever lifting 'large' fish out of the water. In the end after 18 months hard work it was my butt that went during a cast.

If you still happen to have the original tip section from the rod that the butt end broke and want to make a few bob out of it let me know, as I never replaced the 2nd tip section which broke on me..

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 am

Ronnach wrote:I know it's a rubbish explanation from Veals, like you said I should have just told them the tip section broke during casting or something :( I am much more conscious ever since though about lifting a fish from the water with the rod (I've been mostly handlining fish up, or scarpering down rocks to land fish by hand since).

If you still happen to have the original tip section from the rod that the butt end broke and want to make a few bob out of it let me know, as I never replaced the 2nd tip section which broke on me..

I have it but all things considered I'm going to hang on to it - just in case........ I'm actually using it at the moment until my new tip arrives, but you never know what's going to happen....... So, what rod are you using now Ronnach ?

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 pm

flynnboy wrote:I have it but all things considered I'm going to hang on to it - just in case........ I'm actually using it at the moment until my new tip arrives, but you never know what's going to happen....... So, what rod are you using now Ronnach ?

I got hold of a 2nd hand Grauvell Teklon Concept 802ml which has been absolutely brilliant. It's an 8foot rod, so I don't get the distance I used to get with the 1010 Pro, but it is so much lighter and better for working plugs / soft plastics. I still miss the distance I got with the 1010 Pro though.