Casting light plugs?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm

What is the best way to cast light plugs a worthwhile distance on standard spinning tackle? Do swivels up the line with barrel leads above that impair the action and effectiveness of plugs?

Re: Casting light plugs?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 am

What type size and weight of plug are you thinking of?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 am

I'll have to have a look tomorrow re the exact weights, I have done very little plug fishing to date, lots of spinning using 10lb and 15lb braids. Previously I used 6 and 8lb nylon, for distance.

Myself and a couple of friends are planning to do some plugging in the sea this year. I bought a tiny floating plug a couple of years ago, I think its a toothy critter, I used it once on a lough that holds big browns but couldnt get it any distance worth talkin about due to its lightness. I would be planning to use a slightly heavier plug in the sea but still worried that I'll struggle to cover a worthwhile distance.

Is thin line the key? When plugging do you have to just accept you arent going to cover anywhere near the distance you can achieve with a spinner?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:33 am

I meant to ask what type of rod and reel are you using at present?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:31 am

A 10' Diawa Regal 'Lure Special' spinning rod (10-40gram) and a shimano GTE 5000 reel, reel bought about 2003, still going well, filled with 15lb braid at present.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:57 am

I suggest you to have a look here, it might require registration but contains a lot of information about lure fishing techniques. Hope this helps.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks a lot, will have a look....

Edit, sent in a registration to the lure forum, they emailed back to ask where I heard of them before theyd accept my reg'n, should be hearing from them soon, thanks again.