Plug for fishing the surf

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Can anybody recommend a plug when spinning in the surf.

Anto.

Re: Plug for fishing the surf

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 am

hows things lad try soft plastics,spindle worms,rolling shads,x layers etc with a light jighead and light braid(3grams-9grams + 12lb-16lb braid)to get the best action out of them,these will work very well rigged correctly and will also work well for sea trout if there about.look for plugs with a wide lip like a k-ten which will hold well on the surface in a swell or wave and runs very shallow.check henrys tackle online.
regards
markyb

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks Mark for that, I'm just looking for what Plug people use and had most success with e.g. Maria Duplex.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 pm

nicefish wrote:Thanks Mark for that, I'm just looking for what Plug people use and had most success with e.g. Maria Duplex.

Hi Nicefish.

When the sea is kicking up I choose either the Tide Minnow 135 or 150.
The lure woks well and stays down when other lures surface.

Danny.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:12 pm

I have found the Kilty Catcher lure to be very effective in the surf. Being quite heavy it sinks well and enables you to cast out slightly further (if or when you need to) in order to reach the fish. If the waves are quite active (moving quite quickly/rapidly) and the current is strong then in this instance the heavier lures and plugs in the market would be better to use. I have a plug called the Lucky Craft ‘Sammy’ which I have had success with in the past. I also have and think that the Maria Chase BW (Brackish Water) plug is good as well (colour – silver holographic) but that's just what I have found to work for me, everyone is different. If the surf is up then that usually means that the wind is too making it harder sometimes to cast out the plugs so the slightly heavier ones in this instance might be better for you. However, having said that it all depends on the direction the wind is blowing. If the wind is behind you then this can on occasions assist you when casting out. Diving lures I have found to be better in the surf and have been more effective for me than the surface poppers and lures you work on top of the water. Have a look in some tackle shops and see what range they have or have a look on line at some of the mail order companies who sell plugs and lures. I think Veals has a great selection and their service they provide is very good too. Equally, Henry’s Tackle Dublin is very good too and is well worth a look at. They stock/sell the plugs that I have mentioned apart from the Kilty Catcher, I'm not sure they have it but they may have. The trouble is there is loads of plugs and lures out there you can buy, it can all get abit confusing when you have such a choice but ultimately the decision is down to you what ones you want to buy and use! As with anything, it's all done to personal preference and trial and error to see what one you like to use the most or find the most effective for you.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 pm

yep hard to beat the kilty in the surf. the white abu tobys are deadly in the surf aswell i find plugs pick up a lot of weed in the waves

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. Danny I like the look of the tide minnow I ordered one before but was sent out a Tackle house feed shallow. :cry: I will just have to get one of Henry.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:52 pm

The Tideminnow's are great lures alright, cast really well and have a great action but they ain't cheap unfortunately and I'm still mourning the loss of one that cracked off on a cast yesterday. :cry: The Maria Chase BW isn't too bad either, it doesn't cast quite as well as the Tideminow but it doesn't cost half as much either.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Have to agree with the tide minnow option, look for the bigger sizes and also the sinking version which will get the lure down in the surf and then you will be able to work it.The extra weight helps with casting too. Trial and error is the way forward, if you don't want to spend big bucks and are wary of losing lures there are many cheaper imitations of the tide minnow out there , a quick look on e bay should have you sorted.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Dave wrote:The Tideminnow's are great lures alright, cast really well and have a great action but they ain't cheap unfortunately and I'm still mourning the loss of one that cracked off on a cast yesterday. :cry: The Maria Chase BW isn't too bad either, it doesn't cast quite as well as the Tideminow but it doesn't cost half as much either.

I have the Maria Chase BW it good under calm conditions i think the SW would work better in the surf.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:41 pm

what works fairly well for me when the waves are strong enough and its hard to control a plug is a "flying c" of the heavier variety plus its nifty casting against the wind suppose a bass bullet would be another option 8)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Maria angel kiss...140MM...think its the job