Lure fishing, Co. Kerry, bass and sea trout - short report

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi Guys!
This is short report from a few lure fishing sessions while taking advantage of the window of good weather, straight from Co. Kerry baby!

All fishing was done while wading waist deep in the water. At the beginning mostly sea torut showed up. Size ranging from 30 cm to 45 cm with the biggest one at 47 cm. Over the time trout started to disappear and with the odd trout still hooked up here and there, finally bass turned up. At the beginning only shoals of small fish with probably the smallest bass I ever caught! Among them two or three fish around 60 cm mark. Luckily this changed over the time again in to steady flow of fish around 45 cm mark with the biggest one at respectable 68 cm. At some stage I managed 16 fish during one two hour session (15 bass and 1 pollack). In total between two anglers (myself and my mate) we managed around 90 fish in 5 or 6 sessions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tomaszek on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lure fishing, Co. Kerry, Bass and sea trout - short report

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Please comment and post your results from Co. Kerry and beyond! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Some lovely fish there Tommy. Sounds like you had a great few sessions down there.
Cracking pics too

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Oh yes, it was great!!!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Excellent fishing there Tommy and great photos as well. I'm heading down that direction tomorrow and I'm feeling quite optimistic after reading this.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 pm

deadly photos and fishing tommy, whats the plug in the bottom photo looks like a striper plug :?:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Fantastic fishing Tommy!! is your mate Henry Gilbey? that first pic is right up there with the same standard, superb!!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:49 am

Well jealous... fair play lads.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 am

Wow :shock: Superb fish, terrific pix :D :D Did you use any of your home made lures?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 am

that's a fine result Tommy, you surely make use of the weather, well done to the both of you, the first picture is top class, surely would grace any anglers magazine cover 8)

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:13 am

stunnin fish and stunnin pic's...well done to ye both...great part of the world... :wink:

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:23 am

Great Fishing Lads....must gets the rods out and replace rusty lure hooks!!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks guys for all your comments :)

Hugo wrote:Wow :shock: Superb fish, terrific pix :D :D Did you use any of your home made lures?
Yep, the same as always. The only difference was that this time lures were slightly bigger, 11 cm compared to 9cm ones I was using previously.

seanie35 wrote:deadly photos and fishing tommy, whats the plug in the bottom photo looks like a striper plug :?:
Slipper

SeanP wrote:Fantastic fishing Tommy!! is your mate Henry Gilbey? that first pic is right up there with the same standard, superb!!
Nope, never met the guy, but saw one of his videos. Would not take his advice if it comes to lure fishing for bass :mrgreen: :twisted:

We were fishing using 10lb and 8 lb braided line which was plenty of strength, still allowing for light gear and correct way of swimming the lure in strong tidal current. We also never used mono leaders as I believe they are useless. I'm tying swivel-snap directly to main line and attaching lure to it. So overall quite different setup than 30lb heavyweight proposed by Henry Gilbey. :D

Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Tomaszek wrote: We also never used mono leaders as I believe they are useless. I'm tying swivel-snap directly to main line and attaching lure to it. So overall quite different setup than 30lb heavyweight proposed by Henry Gilbey. :D

That's interesting. I stopped using mono leaders a couple of years back because of crack-offs with mag poppers. I never really understood the reasoning behind mono leaders for braid-fished plugs - the "shock absorber" idea is daft, the rod/reel drag do that. Glad to know I'm not alone in my heresy :D

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Fantastic pictures and fishing there lads well done

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:12 pm

great fishing guys some nice bass. :) 8)

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Well done Tommy, sounds like an excellent time. Some great photos too!!!

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Love the pics, great report

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:42 am

nice :D
cracking Bass!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 am

Great report, great fishing , great photo's, what can i say ! :D