Recommend me a bass rod

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a good quality and light bass spinning rod of about 10ft or so. Reasonable price obviously! Saw a few in Southside Angling at the weekend but the prices are a little steep given the brand names on the tags...

Re: Recommend me a Bass rod

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Not sure what your budget is looking like but the Abu Accuflex is a great rod - I think Henry's have it for around 130 EURO

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:57 pm

not sure if this one is still available viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28599

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 pm

The rod in the picture is the new 8ft Savagear XLNT Bushwhacker rod which casts between 15 - 50g. I bought this rod a while ago and I would happily recommend it to you. It's a brilliant wee rod for plugging and spinning for bass which is what I got it for. It allows you to cast your plugs out with ease from the smaller ones right up to the bigger, heavier plugs & lures that are out there. It costs £69.99 and is a bargain at that price. The bass in the picture gave a good fight and with the light rod it was brilliant crack 8) Try and get your hands on one, you won't regret it. Veals had them in stock a while ago, you could try there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 pm

^ +1

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm

The 8ft Bushwhacker is out of stock at Veals but the 8'6'' (20-60g) version is still available. Another good rod is the Hiro Sea Bass Ti 250, slightly dearer at around 90 sterling. Friend of mine owns one and loves it, really lightweight but strong and easy to cast and leads a lure precisely the way you want it.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 am

The Austrian wrote:The 8ft Bushwhacker is out of stock at Veals but the 8'6'' (20-60g) version is still available

That’s a shame, but the 8’6" is a nice rod too so would be worth considering.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies lads, I'll look into the different suggestions and see whats what.
Also, i'll be in Aberdeen at the weekend as well so might have a chance to look at a few in person in order to make the decision. Maybe even a trip to Glasgow Angling Centre if I get the time...
Budget is probably about €100 btw, but quality for the price is probably more important to me. Should have said that in original post.
Last edited by Viper on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:51 pm

btw that Savagear looks spot on, exactly what I am looking for. I usually use a carp rod for bass lure fishing and it's just too heavy and awkward especially when wading.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Viper wrote:btw that Savagear looks spot on, exactly what I am looking for. I usually use a carp rod for Bass lure fishing and it's just too heavy and awkward especially when wading.

The savagear rod I showed you is very light.....ideal for when your on the move alot. When your rock hopping or walking up and down a beach plugging and spinning for bass the last thing you need is a heavy awkward rod to carry - the savagear is neither of them, it is a joy to fish with, it makes plugging and spinning a pleasure to do 8)

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:15 pm

I got mine from my friendly local tackle shop by just asking him to get it in... so no expensive UK-Ireland delivery charges and the price, if I remember correctly, was below what the UK prices were anyway, so double score. No harm in asking around, I'm sure most of the Irish shops share the same distributor, it was no hassle at all to get in in for me within a day or two.

And FWIW, I think it's brilliant - light but really powerful, can get great action into lures and plastics with just a flick of the wrist but still can really horse them out of snags when needed. Only caught a bunch of small pollack on mine so far but it knocks the socks off of everything I was using before and is a pretty reasonable price.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:06 pm

have you taught about the sakura rookie rod,bout 120 euro great rod for that price

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:56 pm

there is notin wrong with the shakespeare salt bass and lowe prices thats ye have mentioned

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am

They have the Savage gear bushwacker rods in southside angling at least they had a few months ago when i got mine they just didnt have them on display i got the 8'6" one and cannot fault it light enough to use all day

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:58 am

I think a couple of tackle shops in Belfast may have the bushwhacker rod in stock, if you are interested in one and want me to find out if they do or not just let me know.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Greys GRXi 9' 15 - 45g, used mine for a few years now for Salmon, Sea-Trout and Bass.

Paul

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Cheers again for all the responses. Had a look at the bushwacker but nice and all as it is it's a little too short for my liking, hoping for something nearer to 10ft. Will google up prices and reviews of the other suggestions, but there seems to be a fair few recommendations so I'll find one in the list. Either way Dungarvan for a week in August is the deadline...

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 am

I have to say that my Cormoran Bullfighter 9 ft spinning rod takes some beating. It was the first rod I bought when getting back into fishing four years ago and it was working great yesterday morning. It's light but tough. It can cast a 25gm spinner 80m+ with 15lb line. It can cast a string of feathers with a 2oz weight about 100m and when you get something decent at the other end you know all about it. Cost me €60 or so.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Stephen8wood wrote:I have to say that my Cormoran Bullfighter 9 ft spinning rod takes some beating. It was the first rod I bought when getting back into fishing four years ago and it was working great yesterday morning. It's light but tough. It can cast a 25gm spinner 80m+ with 15lb line. It can cast a string of feathers with a 2oz weight about 100m and when you get something decent at the other end you know all about it. Cost me €60 or so.

Ditto its a nice piece of kit alright :) i have the same one and its great powerful and forgiving when bass/pollack are abusing it :)

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:02 pm

I have to say I've been pleasantly impressed with the quality of the Cormoran lure rods I've seen. I've just bought two Cormoran rods recently for ultra light lure fishing, the TR4 and the ULX, and I have to say for the money the Cormoran rods would definitely seem to be worth a look. From memory the ITO Crank or the Maro Power looked like they might fit the bill and I think they both less the €100 or there abouts but I'm not sure who stocks them here.

I use a Sakura Rookie 8'6" myself for my bass fishing and personally I think its a superb rod for the money. The other rods I'd look at are the Teklon Concept and the Bushwhacker, all of which are in or around your budget and get great reviews. I'd suggest possibly looking at a 8' or 9' rod rather than a 10' rod though for the lure fishing.