Making a mullet spinner?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Can anyone give me some hints of tips about making a spinner for mullet, im thinking a blade line loads of beads the one hook?? Any tips advice greatly appreciated!

Re: Making a mullet spinner?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm

I read a post by Rodger the Dodger that he got one on a spinner(kilty) last year, but I think that it was a
one in a million chance. I never heard of anyone specifically using a spinner for them unless it was to foul hook
them from a big shoal.
Maybe a very small mepps like thing might do the trick, I did catch a very big mullet using a strip of mackeral on a handline
while I was bringing it across the top of the water (no weight). So I'd say if you made something like a saltwater fly imitating a small fish might do the business. Very confusing fish to catch though!!!!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:38 pm

If you are using a Mepps with the treble removed and replaced with a length of mono and a size 6or8 wide gape kamasan B983 loaded with ragworm, AKA 'The baited spinner', you will get lots of tentative plucks at the bait from the mullet.

Don't be tempted to strike at these initial plucks, but keep the retrieve going with the blade of the Mepps just ticking over (as slow as you can). If you strike, you will pull the lure away from the fish and they will usually loose interest.

Theres some good spinners on the auction sites at the moment, very free spinning and well made. Best to snip the hooks off (too large and not overly sharp) and put your own hooks on.

Some cheap spinners don't spin freely at slow speeds, but its not always more cost = quality. The slower speed that spinner will still work the better. More fluttering than spinning.

You may find that the mullet come right to the rod tip and then turn away, but often, especially if there are several fish following, the element of competition will encourage one to have a go an grab the bait. The rod will hammer over as the mullet turns away and will hook itself in doing so, so there is no need to strike.

By keeping the ragworm trimmed to no more than 1cm beyond the bend of the hook, the mullet will take in sufficient hook length to ensure a clean hook-up in the lip or corner of the mouth.

The Thin lips seem to go for the spinner and bait much more than the Thick lips usually but sometimes Thick lips also take the baited spinner.

Ive heard anglers say they think the Mullet see the spinner and worm as a small fish with a worm its caught and try to steal it, spinning with worm definitely seems to get the Mullets attention. I'm not sure if its the vibration, sight,aggression, bait or a combination that the Mullet find hard to ignore, but i know it works well.

There is also a video film called the Mythical Mullet, made around 15 years ago and it featured Mike Ladle using the baited spinner method in a couple of rivers and estuaries.

There's some info on how to make the spinners and quite a bit of unique footage of thin lipped mullet following and taking the ragworm-baited lures and is still probably the only instructional footage on how to fish this method.

You can pick up the film (now on DVD) from Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishing-Mythica ... B000EQ451U for just a few bob, so a cheap insight into how best to approach catching mullet on spinners.

here a link with a few pics and more info: http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http ... s%3Disch:1

Good luck and tight lines!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:24 pm

The Austrian wrote:If you are using a Mepps with the treble removed and replaced with a length of mono and a size 6or8 wide gape kamasan B983 loaded with ragworm, AKA 'The baited spinner', you will get lots of tentative plucks at the bait from the mullet.

Don't be tempted to strike at these initial plucks, but keep the retrieve going with the blade of the Mepps just ticking over (as slow as you can). If you strike, you will pull the lure away from the fish and they will usually loose interest.

Theres some good spinners on the auction sites at the moment, very free spinning and well made. Best to snip the hooks off (too large and not overly sharp) and put your own hooks on.

Some cheap spinners don't spin freely at slow speeds, but its not always more cost = quality. The slower speed that spinner will still work the better. More fluttering than spinning.

You may find that the mullet come right to the rod tip and then turn away, but often, especially if there are several fish following, the element of competition will encourage one to have a go an grab the bait. The rod will hammer over as the mullet turns away and will hook itself in doing so, so there is no need to strike.

By keeping the ragworm trimmed to no more than 1cm beyond the bend of the hook, the mullet will take in sufficient hook length to ensure a clean hook-up in the lip or corner of the mouth.

The Thin lips seem to go for the spinner and bait much more than the Thick lips usually but sometimes Thick lips also take the baited spinner.

Ive heard anglers say they think the Mullet see the spinner and worm as a small fish with a worm its caught and try to steal it, spinning with worm definitely seems to get the Mullets attention. I'm not sure if its the vibration, sight,aggression, bait or a combination that the Mullet find hard to ignore, but i know it works well.

There is also a video film called the Mythical Mullet, made around 15 years ago and it featured Mike Ladle using the baited spinner method in a couple of rivers and estuaries.

There's some info on how to make the spinners and quite a bit of unique footage of thin lipped mullet following and taking the ragworm-baited lures and is still probably the only instructional footage on how to fish this method.

You can pick up the film (now on DVD) from Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishing-Mythica ... B000EQ451U for just a few bob, so a cheap insight into how best to approach catching mullet on spinners.

here a link with a few pics and more info: http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http ... s%3Disch:1

Good luck and tight lines!

Thanks brilliant tips there il try these out and get back to you.

Also its amazing how some newbies can PM members with stupid comments for no reason, some people are morons!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Can anyone help me with this:

leon230.jpg

Does anyone know where i could get the part which attaches the spoon to the line, or any suggestions on how to do this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:03 pm

you can buy kits for making your own flying condom lures for salmon fishing in england and it comes with all the various bits and pieces you need ill ask my dad where he got his but it was probably 5 years ago ,think if you look in the MAG called Trout and Salmon youl find them

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:09 pm

You should get yourself some czech nymphs and fish them even if you cant cast a flyrod you can use a bubble and fish the mullet,my brother has been getting around 10 a night and probably 100 hook ups over the last week all on a certain pattern, plenty of other lads around him only getting the odd one on similar but not identical patterns.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:48 pm

wilky83 wrote:Does anyone know where i could get the part which attaches the spoon to the line, or any suggestions on how to do this?

you should be able to get the clevis and other parts from here: http://www.foxons.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT ... istory=cat
If you PM me your address I send you one of the spinners I have made up last year as a sample to copy.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 am

Hi wilky that is the one that works and that dvd the mythical mullet is in directors cut on patricks street cork part of a n angling dvd collection think about 6 dvds for less than a tenner well worth getting for the mike ladle one itself pat

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks patk il have a look :)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 am

i got a nice mullet, almost 5lb, when spinning for bass 5 weeks ago, took a german bait spinner, swallowed it right down

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Here a good shop for Spin Blades, Easy spin clevise etc. ... http://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=257

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm

The best way I always find to catch the mullet is the bread flake on the surface. If theyre not on the surface then sink it down and its great sight fishing if your fishing off a high wall or pier, but you need plenty patience. A bread fly would do the trick no bother also. Ive never caught one on the spinner though, doubt you would get consistent sport really.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Jayo wrote:The best way I always find to catch the mullet is the bread flake on the surface. If theyre not on the surface then sink it down and its great sight fishing if your fishing off a high wall or pier, but you need plenty patience. A bread fly would do the trick no bother also. Ive never caught one on the spinner though, doubt you would get consistent sport really.

Thats more for thick lipped mullet, thin lipped and golden grey wont take bread as far i as i know anyway