Night session round 2

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:52 pm

With the winter weather turning nasty lately I decided to make the most of the westerly winds last Friday night. I got launched for about 6.30pm and met Gary on the water. To say it was cold was an understatement , it was fooking freezing :lol: Gary had clocked up a number of pollock before I arrived so I found a buoy and tied off. I wasn't long waiting either first with a pollock then the poor cod started to turn up in numbers. A small codling soon followed, happy to catch the target species so I was :mrgreen: The crabs were hitting the bait hard pulling them up in threes :x dam crabs. Gary had to call it a day and I stayed on. The fingers were pretty numb by now and even baiting up was difficult. The thermometer was reading 5 degrees :shock: It was all worth while when the two rods started to twitch with the tell tail signs of a codling reaching 38cm and a smaller one reaching about 20cm. In total I had 3 codling 5 poor cod 1 pollock and a sea scorpion. Id be hoping the bigger cod aren't far off now :P
Heres a short video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mr31sXuo00A

Re: Night session round 2

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:37 pm

fair play lad,a hardy session...id say you were happy to see the fireplace and a scald after that!

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 pm

Cheers mate, took a few minutes to warm up in the car but well worth it

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 am

anthony byrne wrote:Cheers mate, took a few minutes to warm up in the car but well worth it

it always is when your catching lad :wink:
ballsy enough aul fishing lad,savage stuff.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Good man anto, just a word of warning though i had a big bull seal nearly come into the boat last night after a fish i had on, they seem to lose any kind of fear when it's dark they get very close in fact too close for comfort, i just hope you dont have the same kind of thing happen to you on the yak could be very nasty.
Bring on the seal cull, the sooner the better before someone is seriously hurt :evil:

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:05 pm

I seen a huge one around there recently feeding on the scraps from the lads using the pots. He has come lose in the day but usually buggers off. I'll have to keep a watch full eye in the nights. Cheers john

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 pm

just seeing this one now lads. that bull seal that frequents the area is nothing short of monstrous. the day during the summer when i was hitting good wrasse out there, when i was paddling back to the harbour the lad decided to surface right in my path for a mexican standoff. then he started diving under the kayak from left to right and back again. with the weather so calm and hardly any rain the water was crystal clear. i didn't hang about for long after that. needless to say, if anybody ended up in the water with that fella, there's only ever going to be one winner there.....