Kayak Angling Guide?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

I started reading some stuff on kayak angling recently and may be interested in getting into this type of fishing. Rather than go out and invest in all the gear though I'd love to try it out and see what it's like first. I was wondering if anyone knows of any kayak angling guide in the Cork area that might be willing to take someone out for a session? I've got plenty of year lure fishing experience but the last time I was in a kayak was probably over 15 years ago!

Re: Kayak Angling Guide?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi ronnach, there is Atlantic Kayaks, they rent out and give instructions in kayaking, they are based near Union Hall west Cork. I am myself going to give it a go this year, so lets hope we get the weather.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Thinking of trying a bit of kayak angling myself this summer! Saw these guys down in Whitegate, they have a shop on the main street, they do lessons and sell some gear- never seems to be open though :? :) Inquired about it last summer and the guy told me that they were planning to start a kayak angling club, this was the end of last summer though and I never followed it up. Others on this site prob know more then I do bout this place, so again any info would be appreciated. This is their website anyway:
http://www.kayakcorkharbour.ie/
As you will find the site is under construction, but their is a contact no. at least, so might just point you in the right direction.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 pm

You could try getting in touch with Dave Tilly (bait digger, guide, kayak selling ninja fisherman) too. He's based in Dublin but travels all over and is always willing to leave people try out a kayak before buying.
http://celticguidedfishing.blogspot.com/ <<< thats his blog

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks to all for the helpful replies, I may give Atlantic Kayaks a ring first to see what kind of lessons they have. It's probably the safety side of things I'd be most concerned with, but also I'd imagine adapting to fishing on such a confined space takes a bit of getting used to.

Cheers again, if I get manage to get out there and angling will let ye know.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Ronnach wrote:Thanks to all for the helpful replies, I may give Atlantic Kayaks a ring first to see what kind of lessons they have. It's probably the safety side of things I'd be most concerned with, but also I'd imagine adapting to fishing on such a confined space takes a bit of getting used to.

Cheers again, if I get manage to get out there and angling will let ye know.

Your dead right.. Its a very good idea to get used to using the kayak and gaining experience before you even think about fishing, Your 100 percent right safety is the most important aspect and its great to some common sense as a lot of anglers just jump on a kayak, and dont even think about it!! :shock: Its a great sport and lovely way to get around as long as you respect it :wink:

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Kevin Brain at Waterville has kayaks for hire and will also do guiding.
His number is 087 6766986