looking for my first kayak

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 pm

hi guys.
i am looking at getting my first kayak for sea fishing and wondering which would be the better type to buy
(ie make) i would prefer sit on model, and would it be better to get a dry suite or wet suite.
i live in the southwest cork area does anybody know of any kayak dealers down this way or do i need to go
further afield.

any help would be most appreciated

Re: looking for my first kayak

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm

My dad recently bought a kayak online,Bournemouth canoes. They are the sister shop of Bantry bay canoes which obviously is in bantry :shock: . In any ways the reason he ordered it online from England is it saved him 200 euro even with deliveries , change over rates etc.he bought a Hobie kayak cracking looking piece of kit it's a sit on kayak with a peddler system . Looking forward to when he gets bored with it and I can get my hands on it :D

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:14 am

dont know what kind of money you've got to spend but i bough a 13foot ocean kayak prowler
for 800 with a paddle thrown in from micks kayaks in youghal & did alot of reserch online
& he still came out best for value...he also has second hand stock in sometimes...

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:05 pm

thanks guys.
i will do a little research on tinternet,have found a perception freedom angler 13ft at c h marine
in skibbereen for €745

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Hard to beat the Ocean Kayaks. Prowler 13/15 or Elite. Keep an eye on fleabay etc as even with the carriage from UK it'll be cheaper than home.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Any luck with the yak alfiebass?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm

http://kayak -angling- ireland.org/articles/ choosing-a-kayak/

i found this link useful when i was looking for my one.

ps
you will have to remove the spaces in the url, for some reason it doesnt post properly

pps
i ended up going for a prowler 13 after checking out the perception freedom angler, wilderness 135, ocean kayak big game, and a moken 12

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Fentster wrote:Hard to beat the Ocean Kayaks. Prowler 13/15 or Elite. Keep an eye on fleabay etc as even with the carriage from UK it'll be cheaper than home.

any idea how much it costs to get a kayak shipped from the UK and who's the best courier?

steve

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:13 pm

steve101 wrote:
Fentster wrote:Hard to beat the Ocean Kayaks. Prowler 13/15 or Elite. Keep an eye on fleabay etc as even with the carriage from UK it'll be cheaper than home.

any idea how much it costs to get a kayak shipped from the UK and who's the best courier?

steve

100 sterling with most couriers

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Any dealers in Northern Ireland?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 pm

anthony byrne wrote:My dad recently bought a kayak online,Bournemouth canoes.

25 Euro delivered from here!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:55 pm

graemeelliott wrote:Any dealers in Northern Ireland?

Decathlon at Holywood Exchange do the Prowler 13.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:21 pm

We'll look after you and let you try before you buy. We have a number of dealers and they offer discounts to our members.
http://www.irishkayakangling.com

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Is it possible to rig out/convert a normal sit on top sea kayak for fishing purposes? The polynesian catamaran kayak/canoes come to mind.....any thoughts?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Its possible to rig a 'normal' kayak for fishing purposes. I have an RTM Mambo. About 10 ft long. Its not a fishing kayak in the traditional sense but it does me fine. I stick the rod in the scupper hole and have a small backpack for my gear. A plastic bag tied to the side handle does for transporting any keepers :lol: I haven't started using an anchor, fish finder etc yet but intend to shortly.
You can buy rod holders etc online and fit them easily if you're so inclined.
Of the three lads I usually go fishing with, two of them have similar yaks and one has a Feelfree Moken, which is the best one I've seen for fishing.
The Moken is no good for splashing in the surf whereas the smaller type are ideal for this.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:36 pm

One of the best parts of owning a tackle shop is the testing of new gear. We recently to a range of kayaks, so last weekend we took out the 'Perception Scooter', This is a 295cm long sit on kayak which weighs 20 kg. The weight was always going to be a factor for me as i wanted to launch in some of the more difficult coves in West Cork, which meant carrying some distance. This craft is rated for coast,estuary, river and lake.
We were delighted with the stability and ease of handling, i fished a smalllead head and was soon plucking pollock and a few small bass from around the shore.
The one thing i hadnt considered was where i was going to put the catch should i wish to keep it, however i now wave an old keep-net and have put it under the cargo straps in the rear hold.
This package which includes seat paddles and buoncy aid sells for €499.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.