ASF Victoria 8th August roundup

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

ASF Victoria 8th August roundup

Postby JPS » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:24 am

Well the forecast bad weather that threatened to put our day out didn’t eventuate and in fact it was a top day for being out doors with little or no wind and sunny conditions for the larger part of the day.

Casting kick off time of 9.30 saw only a small group with Mick , Luke, Dennis , Nick ( first timer) and I kicking off proceedings with Allan , Bill (visitor) coming along alter on. Luke and Mike had been out fishing down at St. Helens in the hope if picking up an early season snapper but were only rewarded with a good ling cod for there efforts.
Conditions whilst being good for getting together weren’t the best for distance casting as the winds from the north were light and as usual was pushing the leads down even when it had a bit of velocity to it.

It was pleasing to see Dennis who was looking forward to trying out his new Century TTLD which I had built up for him to match with his Daiwa Emblem Pro and Ultima distance line. The look on his face as he took it out of its case and put it together was great to see.

(A happy Dennis with his new TTLD)
Dennis had also convinced a young mate to come down and see what the madness was about and I hope that Nick went away with a favourable impression from the small group.
Nick should be congratulated for hitting nearly 100 meters on his first have dozen casts and I am sure that it will just be the start of bigger and better things. Also the improvement should hopefully see it giving him a few more options on his forthcoming holiday up the north coast.

(Dennis in action with his new toy)

(Young Nick facing up with his Threadline outfit)

Luke after his fishing session was hoping to get that 200 meter cast down again but with only two or three casts available before he had to head off wasn’t able to crack it this time out.

Young Mick Smajkic who has done an excellent job on promoting the club with our first information broacher was all fired up to improve on his PB’s as well as try out some of the other rods that I had brought along. He was a bit disappointed that the coasters on my WR300 didn’t allow his reel to fit on but settled for the 13’ TTR which allowed him to hit his best cast of the day.

Mick proved to be a two fisted caster and is fast looking like a full blown addict to this very addictive sport. Hopefully we don’t see him burning himself out lugging around two rods at a time. Strange but he reminds me of someone else that I know who also has this affliction.

(Two fisted Mick with TT Super Match and TTR in hand)

Allan was casting well with his newly acquired Sonik rod and was able to put a very good bend in her with his off the ground casts.

(Allan and his new Sonic with Nick waiting to cast)

My own casting didn’t live up to expectations with a number of casts smashing into the very wet ground and sending up big divots of earth, fortunately with the soft ground I didn’t end up with two sore a back but there were plenty of snap offs and backlashes, still it did put provide the guys with something to laugh about and realise that if you don’t concentrate on what you are doing you will get into trouble.

(Yours truly getting set to re-rig yet again)

Here is some video footage, firstly a special for Mick as he wanted to see what he was doing both with his Century Tip Tornado Super match and also with My Century TTR 13’. It was good to see him willing to try the more powerful stick and also that it gave him his best distance on the day.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-BCF6bLW2hQ

The second video is one of the rest of the guys putting casts down, the newly acquired Century FMJ that I had was a very pleasant surprise for the guys at the way it launched the 100 gram weight we were casting with it. Young Nick especially appreciated the way it handled with his Emblem Pro, though Micks Saltiga surf was the real eye opener with its light weight making the rod feel brilliant. Looks like there will be another purchase in the near future.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3v3AJzjWFeA

Results for the day are as follows:

Mick Perotta 150 gram 185.49 meters Zziplex Primo Synchro
Luke Day 150 gram 174.36 meters Century Kompressor S
Mick Smajkic 150 gram 164.25 meters Century TTR 13’
Nick? 100 gram 98 meters Century FMJ
Dennis Cottle 100 gram TBC Century TTLD Fixed Spool
Allan Smeatton 1250 gram TBC Sonic SK3
Jeremy Schrader 150 gram 218.65 meters Century E1000 13’7”

Thanks guys for making it a top day out.
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Return to Casting