Strains / injuries

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Strains / injuries

Postby Cormdogg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:29 am

After some heavy sessions where Im going for distance. Im sore in some strange p;aces the next couple of days, no laughter please. I see a lot if not the majority of competitive casters wear wrist supports even back supports. But I took out a new rod on Saturday the longest I've ever used and yesterday and the day before my inner thigh on my left legs was killing me and my right lower back, Im right handed so I suspect Im twisting in some weird way. I don't think its the weight but possibly adjusting to a new length of rod. I presume like any sport one should have a stretch before a distance casting session. Sometimes after a long spinning session the next day my shoulders feel like they're about to fall off.
Its probably different for everyone but is there a basic stance? ie where should the toes be pointing etc?

Thanks
2010 - Whiting, Dogfish, 3 bearded Rockling, Shore Rockling, Pollock, Dab, Plaice, Launce, Sea Scorpion, Goby, Gunnel, Codling, Red Cod, Smooth Hound, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse
Cormdogg
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Strains / injuries

Postby gearoid mc s. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Doms: delayed onset muscle soreness

basically muscle fatigue which will you will begin to feel a day or two after a strenous working of the major muscle groups..you experience this first few times you work these muscles in a new manner..eg starting out a new programme at the gym..after your muscles become used to this "new" work they become fitter and the pains dont come back....like having pains on your hamstring after bending down collecting peelers all day..nothing to worry about anyway unless the pain persists for more than a copule of days without fading.

pulling muscles is nothing to worry about anyway but be very careful with putting pressure on a twisted back as you could cause irreversable disc damage.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby paddyc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 pm

It could be that you are screwing up your lower body too much as you come round for the hit, the basic stance would be left foot pointing in the direction you want the cast to go with the right nearly parrallel to the that target at shoulders distance apart, the idea is so that when you come around as the powerstroke begins your left foot is well planted and facing the direction you want the cast to go, this also help better weight transfare and balance.

The band on the fore-arm is usually to stop the shockleader knot cutting into the wrist as the lead surges off at the beginning of the cast, off hand i cant think of anyone who wears a support on the wrist but maybe so.

The symptoms you mention are what we all get from casting, after a while the body gets used to it (muscle memory) as mentioned nothing to worry about unless it take exessive time to clear, the other one to watch is deff your back! very easy to damage it, again after doing it a while it will get used to it but in the long run it can do damage. Hope this helps
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Cormdogg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks for that, Ill try that tonight, I usually stand in a "ten to two" foot position and I feel the bite in the left thigh at the end of the cast. So Ill mix it up later. The only problem I have now is the pain in the neck I have from all the bets I lost on Cheltenham today, Ill stick to the fishing for the rest of the week!
2010 - Whiting, Dogfish, 3 bearded Rockling, Shore Rockling, Pollock, Dab, Plaice, Launce, Sea Scorpion, Goby, Gunnel, Codling, Red Cod, Smooth Hound, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse
Cormdogg
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 28 times

Return to Casting