65OO ct mag elite

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

65OO ct mag elite

Postby cormology » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:13 am

Hi lads just purchased one of these as i was impressed with a friends, looking for advice on setting it up for long distance casting.. cheers
Long time no sea.
cormology
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: 65OO ct mag elite

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:32 am

cormology wrote:Hi lads just purchased one of these as i was impressed with a friends, looking for advice on setting it up for long distance casting.. cheers

who will be using it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dont for get to put line on it if you want to get your lead back :wink:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby MAC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 am

Are you only going to use the reel for casting or casting and fishing?

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby cormology » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:31 pm

I will be using it for fishing only, had daiwa's all the time this is my first abu and my first mag, looking a bit of advice on best way to tune it and use it. I'll be using it mainly on clean beaches, just wondering how i can get the best out of it. cheers.
Long time no sea.
cormology
SAI Hammerhead

Postby paddyc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:19 pm

For fishing purposes you just want it to run smooth and safe, a few points to help are:

1/leave about 1m of lateral movement on the spool to allow the bearings to rotate freely.
2/use "Red" TG rocket fuel in the bearings.
3/dont overfill the spool,keep it to about 2m under the lip, there is still more than enough line still on the spool to fish at any distance.
4/i would use just one brake block should be enough.

once thats done cast with the mags on full and reduce them one notch at a time untill the reel feels very lively and thats that
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby MAC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:23 pm

Spot on Paddy. I would just add, for Clean beaches and fishing range, look at a 0.33mm line Should be about 14lb or so.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby Century Man » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:03 am

I must need new abu's (although mine have been regularly serviced by Pete C). :shock: :shock:

I use yellow RF in the bearings
No brake blocks
Mags set between 2 and 4....Into a headwind then increase braking.

That's just my set up....My reels have probably slowed down over time even with regular servicing overseas :shock:
Century-Man
Century Man
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MAC » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 pm

I think you have to air on the side of caution when advising people online, especially if they are only starting out. I'm sure it wont be long before cormology removes that break block and switches to yellow RF and is casting 0.31mm line off the clean beaches, looking for those extra few yards. You setup is the same as mine for fishing. I do use 0.33 for fishing though as a treble dog on 0.31 can be a worry.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby cormology » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the good info lads, i have 18lb .35 grauvell bionix line on at the mo, i dont see any brake blocks, i presume they go on the right hand side there on the two pins. I have rf on the way whats better red or yellow. I can cast well enough but i'm no record breaker, just looking to improve a bit. Thanks again..
Long time no sea.
cormology
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Century Man » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Red will be TOO slow in a mag elite If you are going to use brake blocks AND magnets IMO.

If you have a half decent cast at all you wont need the blocks either.... but as Paddy and MAC said,put them in.....you can always take them out if you find too slow..Alot quicker than changing oils etc.
Century-Man
Century Man
SAI Hammerhead

Postby MAC » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Agree, if ye have a smooth cast at all, you will be fine without blocks, even with short cards........ but use red RF to start. If you find you are often casting with mag settings on zero or near zero, switch to yellow RF. Yellow is thinner and therefore tends to leave the reel running a bit quicker. on a warn day in summer looking for plaice at distance, use Red RF as on a warm day oil will thin and yellow might run a little too fast.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby paddyc » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:34 pm

Century Man wrote:Red will be TOO slow in a mag elite If you are going to use brake blocks AND magnets IMO.

If you have a half decent cast at all you wont need the blocks either.... but as Paddy and MAC said,put them in.....you can always take them out if you find too slow..Alot quicker than changing oils etc.

Some older non-ultracast reels i have that have been cast over 250yds are run on red RF with one large block, and in all of my fishing reels i use red, 525mag, 7ht mag, elites,etc,, simple reason is when fishing there is no need to be running reels on the edge its all about the pleasure of fishing and dont need to waste time picking out birdys or knots whan at the waters edge.Keep it simple but safe.
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby Century Man » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 pm

paddyc wrote:
Century Man wrote:Red will be TOO slow in a mag elite If you are going to use brake blocks AND magnets IMO.

Some older non-ultracast reels i have that have been cast over 250yds are run on red RF with one large block, and in all of my fishing reels i use red, 525mag, 7ht mag, elites,etc,, simple reason is when fishing there is no need to be running reels on the edge its all about the pleasure of fishing and dont need to waste time picking out birdys or knots whan at the waters edge.Keep it simple but safe.

LOL FCUK THAT....;LOL

I LIKE being on the edge......so does Gilbey apparantly he even titled his programme about it...hehe :wink: :wink: :wink:

Paddy...If you can get me casting even 170 yds with RED rf....I wont buy you a pint.....I'll buy you A CRATE ......

Now there's an offer :wink: :wink:
Century-Man
Century Man
SAI Hammerhead

Postby MC » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:09 pm

all my reels run on red rf, even my casting ones (not good enough too use yellow rf yet) but have all my pbs over 170yrds, and if i can do it anyone can

P.B. 50g = 173-1-8
P.B. 75g = 182-1-4
P.B.100g = 219-2-7
P.B.125g = 211-1-8
P.B.150g = 188yrds
P.B.175g = 172-1-4
P.B.200g = 190-2-2

when i can cast better i'll use the yellow rf, but will still use red rf in fishing reels, better safe than sorry on the beach as i rather fish than fix reels
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby Century Man » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:40 pm

Not good enough to use YELLOW RF yet???? With distances like that???Have you got an inferiority complex or summit??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I use YELLOW always...and I dont cast...I just fish....and this is getting BORING NOW. :|

PB?????? Personally....I "edited" dont care.
Century-Man
Century Man
SAI Hammerhead

Postby MC » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 pm

Century Man wrote:Not good enough to use YELLOW RF yet???? With distances like that???Have you got an inferiority complex or summit??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

no just use a lot of line :lol:

I use YELLOW always...and I dont cast...I just fish....and this is getting BORING NOW. :|

PB?????? Personally....I "edited" dont care.

true, good luck with the new reel, hope you have many good fish
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby Century Man » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:02 pm

It's Cormology who is getting the NEW reel....NOT me.. :roll: :lol:
Century-Man
Century Man
SAI Hammerhead

Postby paddyc » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:54 pm

Century Man wrote:
LOL FCUK THAT....;LOL

I LIKE being on the edge......so does Gilbey apparantly he even titled his programme about it...hehe :wink: :wink: :wink:

Paddy...If you can get me casting even 170 yds with RED rf....I wont buy you a pint.....I'll buy you A CRATE ......

Now there's an offer :wink: :wink:

maybe your doing it wrong,,,
my son can cast over 170 and he doesnt even fish!!! he would enjoy taking a case of beer of you too.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby Century Man » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:50 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Century-Man
Century Man
SAI Hammerhead

Postby cormology » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks lads some excellent information there for someone like myself starting from scratch with a new reel this info is invaluable, also good to get the different views, im gonna give it a go without the brake blocks for the time being just as i dont have anyway, see how it goes and hopefully the .35 will be forgiving also. Thanks again lads.
Long time no sea.
cormology
SAI Hammerhead

Next

Return to Casting