'Dirty Fecker' rescued off Co Wicklow coast

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:18 am

So says the Irish Times Breaking News section ...

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:20 am

Another big tope must have capsized the fecker

Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:52 pm

'Dirty Fecker' rescued off Co Wicklow coast
Wednesday, 7th July, 2004

The Dirty Fecker, a 24-foot motor launch, was towed safely to Dun Laoghaire Harbour in the early hours of this morning after breaking down off Greystones, Co Wicklow while on a fishing trip.

The Dun Laoghaire all-weather lifeboat the Anna Livia was launched at 2.10 a.m. and was on the scene at 2.40 a.m.

The Dirty Fecker was towed to shore by 4.20 a.m. and the three occupants of the boat, all from the Dublin area, were brought ashore safely.

"Our initial thought was that it might be a hoax call as the name of the vessel would certainly be considered unusual", said Mr Stephen Wynne, Lifeboat Operations Manager at Dun Laoghaire.

"We are happy the Dirty Fecker and crew are safe and sound," Mr Wynne added.

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:25 pm

There's a chance it's someone in Lukes old boat, he now uses a Norman 20 called the "Dirty fecker II". Although that report says it's a 23 ft boat which is a good bit bigger than his old boat.

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:59 pm

from - http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1089207230

Saved!
No score for this post July 7 2004, 2:33 PM

Yeah, that was me. embarrasing or what? its a long story but basicly my fly wheel severed one of my wires on the engine and the spark plugs could not fire, thus the engine would not start. In the dark i could not see the problem. We had the best fishing i've ever had and that just had to come along and spoil it. The boat is in Dunlaoighre at the moment and I want to get it out of there as soon as possible. i don't want a repeat performance of last time I had to leave the origional Fecker there! The press are hamming it up a bit. The star rang me for a story! They want to take my picture today...

Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:27 pm

Left a message for Luke on his forum:

Luke,

Glad to hear you're OK.
I got a river cruiser just over a year ago and I haven't changed the name, not because I'm superstitious or anything I just haven't thought of a good name (Doesn't have a very good name at the moment). Anyway in honour of your little adventure, I'm thinking of calling it:

"The Missin Fecker"

it happens to us all...

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:36 pm

Hiya all,

I deleted one unhelpful comment from a "guest" already on the basis of my own experience...

We were fishing off the Nose of Howth on a beautiful summer's evening in a small but well appointed Daragh 14, when in a matter of two minutes, this bank of fog descended on us from off the headland. The fishing had been good (shows you how long ago this was) and we had not been looking up, had we! You could not see a damn thing and if you know the area, there is a very swift current and some nasty whirlpools as well. I had myself stuck out the window of the front, a DIY job, just as well it was there, trying to pick out anything for what felt like hours. It was in fact 35 minutes. Eventually the current pulled us completely past the headland, and finally out of the fog. We had to circle back around, well out to sea, and only knew we were safe when Ireland's Eye hove into view. It was a lesson never forgotten - you can be well prepared and experienced and careful... and still get rightly stuck.

I always knew Luke would get famous! :wink: Nice to see he is safe and well. That's the main thing. Were you aboard as well, PeeHaych?

Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:54 am

Kieran said:Were you aboard as well, PeeHaych?

No. I just picked up on the 'Dirty Fecker' through the IT. Then I thought that had to be the same 'Dirty Fecker' from Channel9.

Glad to hear Luke and the gang had a happy ending.[/i]

Tope

Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:51 pm

Hi there all,
Yes I am fine as is the boat and engine. Was a simple problem that could well have been sorted had i have seen it in the dark. As embarrassing as it is it is better to be safe about these things. after all i did have two good friends on board to think about... Anyway enough about that. it is the Tope I am interested in. The press were on to me and all they care about is the name of the boat, never mind the fact that I easily smashed the current Irish record (66 lb 8 oz) and the European line class record (20 lb class)(58 lb 2oz)! Big statement I know but since we returned the fish there is no hard proof and unless I state it up here etc. no one is ever going to know are they? For the sceptics out there among you, it took two of us to put it back in the water. I have caught big Tope before and this thing nearly broke the scales. the other two lads were in complete agreement, even the usualy disagreeable Mr. Ed Burke. As anyone who ever reads my reports or posts will know, I very rarely keep fish. Almost everything is always returned. I was and still am happier to have seen such a fine beast shoot off into the deep rather than hanging from a pole in a picture any day. To hell with records and non beleivers! The mad thing was the thing was missing half its lower jaw. As if it had been wounded before and had healed. I would urge others to do the same with BIG fish and let them go. Be a bigger man. Let someone else have the chance of catching it when it is even BIGGER!

Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:57 pm

Agreed. Good on yer!

dirty fecker

Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:09 pm

Kieran read your experience in the fog just gotta ask mate aint you lads heard of gps yet

Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:39 pm

Hiya codman

That was pre-GPS! Like I said, a long time ago
I was quite young then, even had some hair left on the old bonce! :lol:
That's why these symbols are so appropriate :(

Cheers

picture

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:55 pm

Hi all

You can argue the toss on whether it is a 70 lb tope or not, but you can say it is one hell of a fish. Well done Luke mate... (long download)

Topey Poos

Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:43 am

Do I not get entered in the compotition? Is she not big enough? As for the size of this thing, the scales was pulled to full capacity BEFORE it was even fully off the deck! It is not really that uncommon. Due to the fact Tope are such a nice fish (shark) it is quite probable that the current record of 66 lb 8oz has been broken a few times but since people do not have a big enough scales they do not know and will not kill it. The english record is 82 lb and so ours is quite low. I could have killed it, dragged it home at 4 AM with no car back to my house on my back. Proved it if I could be bothered to all the sceptics and then thrown it in a rather large bin but sorry. Tope are my favorite species and it just was not going to happen. I have two witnesses who are in full agreement as they saw the scales and lifted the damn thing. beleive it or not? Choose for yourself...

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:32 am

In fareness, it looked a lot bigger than the 45lb one in Gallery 5: http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/gallery5.htm

Luke,
You didn't happen to have a second scales on board? If you did you could have worked out the weight.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:47 am

Yep

Put you up in the competition when I get a spare minute!!!

Thanks

pics

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:20 pm

Sorry about that kieran, did'nt mean to sound pushy :oops: Just thought since the thread was old that no one would see it. Some fine fish coming in at the moment. Any sign of a pic of that Bass? :shock:

dirty fecker

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:33 pm

Hi Kieran just joshin m8ty, loke you i also had me napper covered with the stuff they call hair :D but on a more serious note this day and age puttin to sea without gps is a little silly not only will it get you home but look at the fishin marks that can be stored and it dont have to be elaberate kit a garmin 12 hand held will do the trick and not alot of money about 90 quid I think but please remember its no substitute for the compass thats the real piece of kit sorry took so long replying m8 been at sea for a week keep up the good work cheers for now rod. :wink: