LIFEJACKETS - SI 259 of 2004

Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:30 am

Lads,
Check the URL below,
http://www.ybw.com/pdf/SI259-2004.pdf
This is the new act put in place by Dermot Ahern.
I think after the recent tragedies, its probably about time something was put in writing.
You never know, they might even enforce it.
JK

lifejacket

Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:38 pm

I'm writing a piece about rock fishing at the moment, specifically pioneering new marks, a favourite pasttime, and I can not for the life of me understand why people will not wear a lifejacket in any fishing - the gas canister jobs are incredibly small so there is no excuse, and they cost half of what you would pay for a decent beachcaster...

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:22 pm

Fair play to ye Kieran you'll soon have every mark in this isle down on the map!...........oh no , wait you already do :lol: Keep up the good articles.

Just to say that wearing a flotation suit while rock fishing is a great idea for safety, some anglers even wear a lifejacket. The rocks can be and maybe are as dangerous as out afloat.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 pm

Kieran

Just a note on Lifejackets, our club brought in a rule 2 years ago which states "No lifejacket - No fishing" in any club competitions. It took a bit of getting used to at first but like seat bealts in cars you feel naked without one now.
To kick things off the club paid half the price of each lifejacket for club members - which brings me to the point I want to make. We bought 16 the first year from a mail order company in England (no problems), 10 the second year from the same company (no problems) but last month when I rang to put another order for 10 more I was informed that due to new regulations brought in by the Avaition Authority they were unable to post any items that contained gas canisters or other hazardous materials by air. After phoning a number of mail order firms I got the same answer (even though I was getting the lifejackets sent to an address in the Northern Ireland).
We are now in a position where we require more lifejackets (at a reasonable cost) but are finding it hard to get them. Is anyone aware of a mail order firm in Ireland, North or South that supply this stuff.
Damien

lifejackets

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:04 pm

Hi Damien

Bang an email up to Conor - he might be in touch with the suppliers. Equally bang one off to Roger Baker (PM me if you need the email address, but it is in the magazine, I don't publish emails here any more to stop the spammers collecting them). Roger would have every distributor and major tackle supplier in the country on his books, and while you are at it, if you get a decent price, I'll have one. My old one is a big smelly and raggedy now, been banging off rocks for seven years and a bit so it could do with an upgrade. Maybe the RNLI would know?

Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:23 am

Hi Lads,
I spoke to my supplier when I heard about the new legislation. He can get me the 150 newton lifejackets for about 90 euro on the condition I buy 150 . I'll see what price I can get for smaller quantities if you let me know roughly how many you want. I know very little about the price of these as I usually only buy in the fly fishing lifejackets (loadsa pockets) so am not sure if this is expensive or not.
Anyway, if this sounds reasonable, I'll sell them at cost price plus P&P and VAT to anyone on the forum. Can't do any better than that.

Cheers

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:18 am

Try this out - http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/

If anyone has problems with shipping to Republic of Ireland, they can use my address in Armagh . I'm in Dublin once a week doing a delivery, so can drop off life jackets if required.

Cheers,

Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:18 pm

Re: Try this out - http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/

I'm interested in getting a CO2 jacket as well as I only have some of the Foam ones. I made an enquiry from the site above.

Prices are inclusive (No + VAT)
Re delivery, I was quoted as below:

“We don't ship by post, we use a carrier who ships co2 by arrangement. Delivery is 3-4 working days.”

Seems like good value.

Lifejackets

Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:04 pm

Adrian

I checked out the site and mailed their sales people. True enough they use a courier to transport by sea with 2-3 days delivery to Northern Ireland (I did'nt ask about Republic of Ireland postage costs as I have friends just north of the border and the postage is always a lot cheaper to there). They are also willing to talk about a possible discount for orders from club's (might only be a bob or two but still).
Conor, thanks for the offer but as there are so many different lifejackets out there and they all vary in costs it would be hard to say if what you are being offered is good or not. I was able to buy manual ones for £34 which when adding in the cost of postage and converting to euro worked out at €56 each (granted these were priced at the lower end of the market), on the other hand I did purchase a dearer one for one person and this worked out at close to €100.
I am going to follow up and get a confirmed price for the 10-15 I am looking for and I will let you all know the outcome.

Damien

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:06 am

Thanks Conor for that web link. Got one of the gas canister ones delivered yesterday and it allows free movement. All I need now is someone to go rockfishing with.

Donagh

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:37 am

Good stuff Donagh, glad I could help.

lifejackets

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:06 am

H Donagh

I take it you got one of the 150 newton ones?
If so what price did it come in at, at told, inc. P&P?
And how long did it take to get there?

Thanks

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:32 am

Kieran,

The life jacket with P&P came in at £50 sterling plus £6 P&P. I'll await the credit card to find the euros bill. It was the Inshore 150N Automatic Lifejacket with harness. I ordered it Thursday and it came in through private delivery Monday.

Donagh

Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:03 pm

If you are the shy type, you may be interested in the olive green version, but it doesn't leap off the web-site. I think they are listed under Fishing Lifejackets and may be £5 dearer. I must admit there is a better chance I'll wear a green one rather than look like a stranded lifebouy up on the rocks!
From the safety aspect, I think they reveal a bright yellow inner when inflated.

Tim

Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:31 pm

I ordered one aswell on Thursday, Probably the same one as Donagh, 150N Navy blue one.

Anyway, came in at about €102 (delivered) with a re-arming kit (Figured if I got this I definately wouldn't fall in).
The delivered price for the jacket on it's own would be about €85.

Personal Safety

Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:37 pm

Good to see so many people taking safety so seriously !!

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:48 pm

Conor,

Thanks for the tip about the site, the jacket arrived today.

Inconspicuous Navy blue when worn, checked the inside boyancy compartment it's Hi Vis Yellow. This one is £49.99, listed as a June special (Normal price is reckoned to be £59.99). Looks good.

Lifejackets

Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:10 pm

All
After searching the net for someone that would ship Lifejackets by sea to Ireland at a reasonable price I have found a place believe it or not right under my nose here in Dublin. A shop has just opened up in Swords, Co.Dublin which deals in all things nautical (they previously only sold by mail order from Buy&Sell). Their 150N lifejackets (which seem to be of good quality) sell for €65 - manual, and €75 - Auto, with them willing to do a deal for multi orders. They sell a whole range of goods (anchors, chain, rope, clothing, 2/4 stroke oil, paint screws, pins etc. etc) at very reasonable prices. They are still in the process of getting a web site up and running so sadly I can't pass on any web address but I do have their address and phone number if anybody is interested.

Damien

Killybegs fisheries co-op

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:57 am

for those of you in the north west looking for life jackets/vests and other boating goods, the killybegs fishery co-operative is supposed to be very reasonably priced. I spoke to a bloke last night (I was buying a boat from him - my first !! ) who bought a 150N life jacket for 40 euro !! I reckon that'll be hard to beat - for those of you not from the north west, I'm sure they could arrange posting, and I'm sure there are co-operatives like this all round the country - worth checking out.

Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:51 am

conor,

U have a pm, if the fecking system worked ok! (It did say "failed sending mail") :(