Mustad shrimp rigs

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:14 pm

HI guys,

I was in a tackle shop today and saw, for the first time, mustad shrimp rigs. Are they any good in Ireland, what can they catch and when can they be used?

Many thanks

Caz

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:20 pm

10/10, will catch everything, freelined are excellent for Gars too!! 8)

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Shirmp Rigs are the Muttz Nuttz!

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:46 pm

as the lads said they will catch fish. what tackle shop were u in?

nigel

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:19 pm

Thats a good tip Rob! shall give that a try

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:25 pm

there the dogs watsits. brill for mackeral and launce when there hard to come by. with small squid or ragworm baits there great for scratching and species fishing, have even had an 8lb cod on them.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:50 pm

I saw them in Corrib tackle but could not bring myself to buy them at the time. Thanks for the comments guys. I'll get a few sets and give them a lash.

Caz

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:42 am

The shrimper rigs are very good and far more effective than hokkai or normal feather rigs. The line they are made from though can be bit to light over rough ground if there are ling or big pollock/coalies about.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Have a look at 'Varivas Sabikis' from Veals [url]https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Feathers.html[/url] Really well made and good hooks, they outfish shrimp rigs quite often and outfish cols collection nearly all the time :D
Sean,

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Im going to let you lads into a little secret....
The best lures, for Mack/Pollack/Codling/Everything is Denetts R320 Flashers, I've never found anything else that comes close.

Dennetts flashers

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:06 am

I have caught a lot on sabikis and shrimp rigs, the hooks are really tough and sharp, have had unwanted doggies well hooked in and out of the corner of the mouth on baited rigs where you just think that the small hook could not get them.

But as others saud the line can be a bit light if you are over rough ground.

Drew, what are the Denetts and where can you get them?

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Mustad Sabiki Rigs, http://www.meltontackle.com/shopping/pr ... t_id=11012
Thery are the best if your after fresh bait, mackerel, launce etc. Especially when the mackerel are fussy, been using them days when other guys have been using hockeyes, they might get the odd mackerel and I would have a full house most casts.