Howth Slipway

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Howth Slipway

Postby hush1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:35 pm

Anybody know if the slippway in Howth can be used at all states of the tide?
hush1
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 19 times

Re: Howth Slipway

Postby Gonzo » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:31 pm

hush1 wrote:Anybody know if the slippway in Howth can be used at all states of the tide?

It's unusable roughly 2 hours either side of low tide
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby herefishyfishy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:34 pm

Its parking that's the biggest issue now, as they have closed half of the pier that the slipway is on. You be lucky now to find a sot that will take the car and trailer.
You would want to get there early in the day and then hope you can get parking.
Sold my boat last year and this was a factor in me selling it (small factor).

What i would also suggest you to do is look up the howth yatch club website they have a live feed camera and also the tide times and heights.
Pick a day on low tide and go out and take a few pictures of the route in and out. Once its about 1mt you can get in and out a narrow pathway but you can.
Last thing you want to do is come in last one evening to find you can no longer get to the slip.

All in all get out and enjoy it. You will definitely need a tow line as you will pick up a jet ski or two over the summer :lol:

For this message the author herefishyfishy has received thanks:
keem (Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am)
herefishyfishy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby keem » Tue May 03, 2022 8:52 am

The new pier is almost complete and the next stage is the dredging of the slip area so access all stages of tide. They are also constructing new wide slip at back of West pier with parking for leisure boats. The plans for this are on line and the new pier at slip was 1st stage.
Too many lures ... not enough time...
keem
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby DAMIEN » Wed May 04, 2022 10:19 pm

keem wrote:The new pier is almost complete and the next stage is the dredging of the slip area so access all stages of tide. They are also constructing new wide slip at back of West pier with parking for leisure boats. The plans for this are on line and the new pier at slip was 1st stage.

I’m only seeing this now for some mad reason,that’s a very welcome addition to hear off used howth slip most of them myself so another for busy summer period is defo a bonus,

As previous I found it ok on tides down to about 1meter but you need to watch your approach so best get used to it First,never usually to green either as it’s used a lot apart from the extreme low tides
DAMIEN
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 21 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum