County Cork

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

County Cork

Postby Its Ofishal » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 am

Hi there lads. I am trying to get down to Cork for a 2 day trip. I have a warrior 165 and I hope to fish the first day for Blues and try catch my first Porbeagle. The second day I hope to try wreck fishing for whatever is down there. To that end I am asking has anyone got any tips or help they can give me from launching, getting bait and any idea of areas I should go as Ive never fished there before.Its a long haul from Slane but I know that on this site nobody steers you wrong.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 104 times

Re: County Cork

Postby JimC » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Have a read here http://www.topfisher.eu/angling-cork-ha ... sta-style/
It will give you a flavour.
Where are you staying?
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Im still trying to convince my fishing buddy to get clearance from his missus so Im trying to put together a full itinerary. Thanks for the link. What winds should I look for that will suit for outside the harbour. You ask where would I be staying but yet again I havent got that far but if you have recommendations I will look at them as all we would need is food a few beers and a clean bed.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimC » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:08 am

When winds get into double figures from the south thing begin to slide. I doesn't take much east to make things uncomfortable. You get away with more wind from the north.
I suppose it comes down to launch site and target species. Cobh is a good base and there is choice or accommodation offering. You could also leave your boat in the water at the Marlog marina or even at The Quays resturant/bar.
Further West offers alternatives like Courtmac or Union hall.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Just googled Cobh and your website which I am very thankful for, looks to be the one. Im sure that the bay is fishable nearly all the time as there has to be lees to all land in the area. The wind will determine whether I can leave the bay. If it all works out I will be launching from Cobh and sorting a mooring for the night.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum