Is it ok to use?

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi all

I recently bought a small 8 foot long double skinned fibergalss punt for use, mostly, on freshwater lakes and rivers. It handles well takes two people and has never shown signs of tipping over. I have kitted it out with echo sounder, marine battery, electric engine, oars and buoyancy aids and will be getting a flare gun soon.

Now I was wondering if it would be a safe proposition to use this punt in a very limited way for sea fishing, by limited i mean in sheltered bays, harbours and off beaches and only in calm weather, and within mobile phone range.

Anyone used similar?

Any thoughts appreciated
Adam Shannon

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:24 pm

I would seriously advise against it. Even a seemlingly dead calm sea can kick up a fierce swell in no time at all, and you could find yourself in major difficulty.

You really have to repsect the sea. It's nothing like a freshwater lake.

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:48 pm

Hi Adam

I can understand the temptation but I would strongly advise against it.

I would second Shamrock's assessment. A punt with a relatively flat bottom is a very dangerous thing in the sea, notwithstanding that some people use them on some of the bigger western lakes where 1 m waves are common. You really need a boat with a distinct V profile or keel to feel anyway safe in the sea. Paradoxically being close to shore or in an estuary can magnify the power in waves - the illusion of greater safety is just that, an illusion.

Get yourself something not smaller than a 14 footer and with two engines, an auxiliary for safety although the electric can be very useful for sneaking up on a bass (if you have bass in your area). Don't forget the lifejacket either or ideally a survival suit - the water is never that warm around here :wink:

FWIW...

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:43 am

Is there any limitation on the sort of boat you can use on the sea? I have a 19ft Anglers Fancy (Lake fly fishing boat) on the Corrib and was considering using it for some limited sea fishing; ie: somewhere fairly sheltered like Greystones and no more than about 300m from the shore. Is this considered safe? I notice there are a lot of similar boats lying around the harbour but have never seem them used on the sea.

Boats

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:16 pm

I always say 'Don't trust a boat you can't stand up in! Your boat could be used in the sea but should not be used far off the shore. Yes what you are describing sounds fine to me if you know and understand how to read the weather forecast propperly. Thing is though, there is little difference in fishing 300 m off the shore to fishing from the shore itself. At these ranges indeed, it often makes sense to move in closer! I would be willing to show up with my boat at Greystones if you were worried about such a venture for added security. outside the harbour at Greystones would make a sensible spot for you to fish but other than that you would really need to get out further to make it worthwhile. What sort of an engine setup do you have? Maybe it would make more sense for you to sell your boat and get an Orkney strikeliner without the cuddy? This is a similar boat that could be towed easily, used on lakes etc. and makes a good inshore sea boat. Should cost similar price if your boat is 19ft. :wink:

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:45 pm

Selling the boat isn't really an option as I am a freshwater fly fisherman who just also happens to occasionally go sea fishing. Was thinking of getting a second boat in the near future which is more sea worthy but can still be used for fly-fishing... jusy looking up my options for the present time until I can afford to splash out.
With regards to engine setup, the options are either a 6 or 10hp outboard - and oars of course in emergency.