Bunk trailers

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:28 am

Your bunk trailer should support the boat on the keel of the boat. The bunks themselves are basicly there to support the boat and stop it falling off the trailer. the weight should be supported on the the main chasis of the triler. If it is'nt going over bumps while traveling leads to all the pressure coming down hard on the points supporting the hull. This is the reason why bunk trailers are actually better for transporting boats than roller coasters which only really support the boat at a few points. Most new hull designs by now have reinforcment built in to counter this problem but older boats do not. Roller coasters are a dam site easier to retreive also :lol: .

When retreiving a bunk trailer a good tip is to deliberately dip the trailer bunks only partially and bring the boat tight in to the bunk. Then attatch the winch and bring it in tight. then slowly reverse the car whle reeling in the winch at the same time. This will help keep the boat aligned and gradually bring the boat on. Of course it depends on the boat and trailer and the amount of wind thats wrecking your plans but another good way to do it in good calm conditions is to dip the trailer, then motor the boat out til its facing the trailer and using a rope from the slip standing at the trailer slowly pull the boat in by hand and into position. This is what i used to do with my previous boat. there was a shallow keel that slotted into the trailer. Once it was in position i tightned up and then dipped the trailer a bit more and winched it on fully before she was pulled out. As i said, it depends on the boat and trailer we are talking about. It comes with practice. Try and make sure your first few attempts don't include too much wind and a person or two wearing waders is a big help.