1988 johnson 60 hp vro carb leak at idle

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

I have a slight leak from my carb at idle only disapears when trottle up it doesnt seem to be coming from dogdy gasket or anything engine is starting and running perfectly any help be appreciated thanks

Re: 1988 johnson 60 hp vro carb leak at idle

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 pm

that engine has 3 carbs, are you just seening the leak from the bottom of the silencer cover or have you the cover off?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 pm

I have silencer still on and its dripping from top carb at bleed screw!! Is there suppose to be a gasket between silencer and the three carbs????

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:20 pm

there should be a cork gasket between the carbs and silencer , and between both parts of the silencer cover. If it's coming from the lower bowl screw then there is a rubber washer meant to be on that screw, these can leak so replace this and see if that sorts it . if not post back and we'll look into it further.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for your help the gasket is missing from air intake to carbs so ill replace that there is the gasket on screw but im thinking its coming out the front of carb and running down the back of the silencer its only a dribble but want get it sorted... Would there generly be a bit of drip from them that runs off down the silencer and out the tube at bottom???

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 pm

the tube at the bottom is to let any excess that somes form the carbs back into the crrankcase. Generally they spit a fine mist at idle anyway so I wouldn't be too worried but if it's more than a spit and more like a dribble then I'd sugest popping of the carbs and giving them a clean in case something is causing an obstruction within the carb.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

A spit is the better description of what it is i say its coming down between silencer and carbs a new gasket should sort that out.. :D appreciate the help. Thanks

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 pm

great engine theose 6o-70 omc's had one for years, virtually bombproof if rinsed out every time after salt and impeller checked yearly.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Well when i got it i saved it from a death ...got pistons done and just a good tidy up trying keep it as best i can for long as i can... pre mixing didnt trust the vro so blanked it off seems to be running fine so hopefully she keep going