Using a car battery for the boat?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Our boat has sat idle for the past 8 months and the battery is dead.
If I put a car battery into it just to get it started and onto the slip/trailer will it do the job?
Engine is an Etech 60hp

Re: Using a car battery for the boat?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm

yep you will have no problem with that at all :wink:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:07 am

Your original battery may be dead and might need replacing. It would be worth charging it fully and load testing to see if it is ok.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks lads.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:55 pm

another handy item would be a remote jump starter. i think Aldi in coolock were selling them last week (it also has a function to charge your battery at home). I always have my jump started on the boat as you just never know. last thing is to be out try and start her and she is dead. I think they were €40 in aldi. worth a look.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Those jump starters only have an 17Ah battery... For a bigger engine it might not be enough, especially if it's been discharged a little which it will do over time, even if it's not been used... Make sure it does the job with a 3/4 charge before you put your faith in it.

Kev

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Well I know it works on my baterry mine was completely dischaged and she started staight away. I also used it on a boat i towed in from howth also and again their battery started staight away. It like everything else it may work great for one person but not others. I use a seperate battery charger anyway. But for the price that Aldi were selling these for its worth trying even it doesnt work on the boat always have it for the car.