looking for info on new boat

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:06 pm

[*]Hi lads
Im looking into buying a new boat. It would be used mainly in the summer on weekends for fishing and general leisure. Ive never had a boat before so im looking for all the info i can get, do i need to register the boat , tax , insurance , are there any charges on lakes rivers etc and and any other info would be greatly appreciated . i would be looking at spending 8000-10000 euro.Many thanks

Re: looking for info on new boat

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:53 am

hi antony now is the time to be buying this is the lowest the market goes. for the money your looking to spend you should pick up a beaut.donedeal is quite good at the moment.if you want to travel for a better bargain try findafishingboat.this sites gives boats from england and ireland. my self if i had your money i would go for something with an onboard diesel engine.as it will be cheaper to run.you do need insurance its not like a car but you need it incase of accidents what you have to decide are you going to moor the boat or launch and retrive.and does your driving license cover you to tow a boat.
there is lots of good deals at the moment but dont buy until you have got the boat and engine checked by a good marine mechanic.try and get a package with everything on board ie fishfinder ,gps ,anchor,lifejackets ,auxcillary engine fenders in other words as much as your going to need without further exspense im sure other lads will post more advice good luck with the hunt

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:27 pm

That's brilliant thanks for the info. If any one else had any that would be great . Thanks a mil

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:55 am

heres a beaut and well worth a look http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1707736

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:37 pm

For that money you should get a great deal. Huge choice on www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk
Warrior 165, raider, Predator, shetland Alaska, Orkney are all good makes and do models around the 16 length which can be trailered by a family car and launched easily. All would need an outboard engine to power them. You need to decide what you want to use it for.

This site can help you to make your mind up http://www.fishing-boats.info/

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm

For that sort of money mate you could get a warrior 165 they are the dogs
there is plenty of them for sale in the UK for that money mate also a few on eBay at the moment

Have a look at this link http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/search.phtm ... =&sr=1&q=1

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:15 am

if you are taking a boat from england watch out for customs
i got questioned about my boat when i picked it up in rosslare the fella i bought it off put it on the ferry and when i picked it up i had to fill out a form it might be different if you pick it up yourself. just might be worth checking out

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 am

There are no customs charges for a second hand boat imported from the UK when bought from a private individual. There is also no problem in buying a new boat in the UK provided the VAT issue has been sorted.
A VAT registered person is entitled to import from the EU VAT free. When that person recharges the goods out they charge VAT at the appropriate rate. Over the years many bought boats in the EU, quoted VAT no.s (many not their own) and then kept the boat themselves. There is a VAT implication on such a purchase.

It looks like there is much more communication between the UK & IRL Revenue. I personally know a guy who purchased a new boat from the UK. The company did not charge VAT on the export (their error). A few months later Revenue arrived at the door looking to see the purchase invoice for the vessel. If VAT was not paid then VAT + penalties + interest was due.

As I say, private sale OK. Sale from a dealer/VAT Reg Business OK if vat is paid at the local rate or correct VAT no quoted for businesses.

I would say that if you are picking up a boat off the ferry you should have paperwork saying that the boat is yours and where possible have a purchase invoice.