Lifejacket Re arming HELP

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi I recently bought 3 used life jackets, one 150N XM Quickfit and two German BSA Technic 16e .(see photos) All 3 need to be re armed.
Problems are as follows:

All 3 have a salt bobbin does this mean they are auto with a manual over ride?

does this salt tablet need to be replaced with the new gas?

What size co2 cylinder goes in the quickfit?

I cant find any one that supplies BFA Marine co2 or parts in Ireland. Would it be possible to use other brands in the BFA's? they have a similar Halkey Roberts mechanism as the quickfit so i don't see why parts wouldn't be interchangeable between brands.

Are ebay cylinders a no no?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/33g-CO2-lifejacke ... 3cb10661c6

Thanks for any help
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by seanyroche on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Lifejacket Re arming HELP

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:32 am

This is a post I put up on another forum.Hope it helps but my motto is "If in doubt,throw it out"
Cylinder corrosion is something I have seen a lot of in the past few years. One way to solve that problem is to just unscrew the cylinder and check it . The top should be sealed and the threads clear of any rust or dirt. Put a smear of grease onto the tread and put it back in hand tight.
Open out the jacket and sure while it`s open you may as well blow it up via the manual inflation .
Leave it inflated overnight to make sure there are no leaks.
Also if your salt tablet unit is a clear one look out for the green indicator and the green firing pin retainer.
If the unit shows red then the unit has discharged.
Make sure the re-fill cylinder is the correct unit for your jacket (never put a 150 N cylinder into a 100N jacket)

One really serious error we often make is thinking we have an automatic inflating jacket or a jacket that is too light for the use intended.
Make sure the jacket you use is a minimum of 100 neutons . (even that is a fairly light jacket for folk over 12 stone)
I recommend 15 to 250 neutons with a crotch harness (the first thing we do when we fall in is to raise our arms and a poorly fitted jacket will go over your head or could strangle you)
Children are at serious risk on the last one.
Have a look at your jacket and it should say 150A (150 neutons Automatic or 150M 150 neutons Manual)
If your out in a rainstorm you can turn your jacket manual by removing the salt capsule until the rain passes ,then put it back and again a smear of grease on the tread (very light smear).
I used to love asking people to put a life jacket on and watching the look of shock on their faces when I jerked the pull cord and inflate it :wink: (I had re-arming kits and just wanted to show how they operate :whistle: )
This is information I have amassed in the past ten years working in O`Sullivan`s marine. I sold/serviced the Valeria range and found them to be a good safe brand .

I hope this helps and if anybody has questions about the jackets please don`t hesitate to contact me.
Again I stress,I don`t charge for this service ,pop a coin or two into an RNLI box or my personal favourite is the Cancer society .

Re: Lifejacket Re arming HELP

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 pm

howya seany looking at some of the rearming kits. they can differ in price from 20 to 60 euros check out marine parts direct
and maybe talk to one of the lads the will steer you in the right direction .i replaced my life jackets earier in the year from them and got fully auto lifejackets 165nutrons for 50 euros there made by wetline and very comfortable .but a phone call to them they will tell you who does the ones your looking for ps i dont think they ask for charity donations either :lol: