Wilson Flyer 17

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Firstly, let me introduce myself. I am Billy from North Antrim and this is my first post, so go easy on me!

I am thinking of buying a new boat. I have a trailor and outboard from a previous boat, now sold. Due to financial constraints I am limited to choice. Ideally I would purchase an Orkney Longliner or similar. So I have been doing a little research and I was thinking of a flyer 17 from Wilson boats. They don't have a website but there is a review here:

http://www.fishing-boats.info/wilson17.htm

I would appreciate the honest opinions of the users of this site. Please keep in mind my price range £2800 if you suggest alternatives.

Re: Wilson Flyer 17

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:37 pm

hi billy i had a wilson flyer for a while plenty of room on them good safe boat but the do slam a bit at anchor but not the end of the world easy to launch and retrive and a good following in the uk just check for water in the hull the did suffer a bit that way tell tale signs sponge floor good bit of weight when water logged the dont get on plane as easy but again if you get a good one you will be happy good luck with it

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 am

good point steyman,i also have a wilson as well,im in the middle of an overhaul and found a spongy floor at the back near transom,cut a hole out of the floor about 6inch square and found water,not nice,i think its only rain water as i have all the ss handrails removed for a good polishing and clean,i plan on putting some checkered plate over the hole,and ideas or tips all welcome ,its on timbers now and covered with a tarpolin,bilge pump was old so just replaced that,only thing im missing now is a roller trailer,is it hard to convert a bunk trailer?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 am

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I have to say a spongey floor due to the rain is a bit worrying. I take it she is a solid glass fibre construction?

Can you answer these questions:

Does she need a long shaft, short shaft or either type?

What is the minimum outboard hp you could use on her?

Thanks for your advice. As they say 'there is no substitute for experience'.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 am

tedser wrote:good point steyman,i also have a wilson as well,im in the middle of an overhaul and found a spongy floor at the back near transom,cut a hole out of the floor about 6inch square and found water,not nice,i think its only rain water as i have all the ss handrails removed for a good polishing and clean,i plan on putting some checkered plate over the hole,and ideas or tips all welcome ,its on timbers now and covered with a tarpolin,bilge pump was old so just replaced that,only thing im missing now is a roller trailer,is it hard to convert a bunk trailer?

hi if you could put a hatch were the hole is fit a bilge pump in there it would help or take out the foam fit plastic bottles or balls like whats in kids play areas you also could flo coat the floor again and should seal up any pores in it as for bunk trailer to roller it can be done but it would be better to sell your own trailer and buy a second hand roller trailer because once you cut and weld your trailer it will rust like mad and the cost to get it re dipped in galvanised would not be worth it

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:11 am

billy the kid wrote:Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I have to say a spongey floor due to the rain is a bit worrying. I take it she is a solid glass fibre construction?

Can you answer these questions:

Does she need a long shaft, short shaft or either type?

What is the minimum outboard hp you could use on her?

Thanks for your advice. As they say 'there is no substitute for experience'.

hi the sponge floor can happen to boats left out in all weather conditions and the age of the boat but not sealed properly when made and water is trapped in the hull and rots the timber from under the floor thats why it looks good from the top and soft bits between the stiffener ribs underneath you could take up the floor and refit it big enough job but if you have the time and space you would have a good boat at the end long shaft engine anything between 50 and 75 hp would be best bit of power if needed i would fit the best engine i could as i could affort or get one with a bit of service history hope this helps

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

So a 10 hp engine is out of the question (my current outboard)! Agreed?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:56 am

yes wont be good enough but a good back up engine

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Irang Wilson boats and discussed this with him. He said at 8hp she would do about 5 knots (weather and sea factors permitting. It wouldn't plane obviously.

That would suit be as I don't venture any more than a half a mile of shore. Your thoughts?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:27 pm

with wind and tide running i would not go out in it but its you boat your the boss you call it

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 pm

good point steyrman, i never thought of putting a second bilge pump in the hull,im going to look into that,thanks for your valuable info

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:44 pm

steyrman wrote:with wind and tide running i would not go out in it but its you boat your the boss you call it

hi steyrman ive a 18ft dory very similar to wilson its an open boat no cabin,the floor is a bit soft in a few spots.im building a large shed next year would it be a major job to put new floor in .it would be a class boat again.would the best job be to remove the whole floor for can something be put over it.any idea of the cost of material for a job like that.i be handy at that work myself

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm

10hp would be a bit pointless on a 17 foot flyer IMO. If you want to keep the 10hp as your only engine I would more recommend a longliner or an OSM or similar.

10 hp against wind and tide in a flyer and you wont be goin anywhere fast

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:47 pm

hi,ive a wilson at the moment and find it a good boat,they will slam a bit into a choppy sea but are a really stable boat,at anchor and in a rolling sea-i think ul need to go a bit bigger with the engine tho,ive a 40hp and im thinkin of moving up 20 more hp-

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:45 am

Hi Billy,
I have a 20 foot Wilson Flyer for a year now and am delighted with it. I did my research and everything I read or heard about the breed bore true. In short I'm delighted with it and expect to have it for a long long time.
Regarding the underfloor foam absorbing water, this was a feature of the older boats but in recent years Wilsons have been using a different foam which won't absorb as much water if exposed to it. Mine doesnt have foam but the underfloor area can be drained back into the sump at the stern through a bung.
They are good load carriers and if passengers move around on deck it doesn't upset the balance much.
I find that mine moves easily at displacement speeds and we did quite a bit of offshore cruising at the weekend at a leisurely 5 or 6 knots.
Comments:
The bows are realatively low so make sure you get one with a cuddy so that the boat doesn't take water when crashing through a wave in a heavy chop.
I've seen one or two models for sale which had the slopwell at the stern cut away leaving nothing inboard of the low transom to keep water out. Walk away!
Wilsons ride better that Dell Quay dories or Fastworkers both of which would keep your chiropractor and dentist busy. The latter would be a good second option as they have more freeboard and many have selfdraining decks.
Dont worry about the HP. If your fishing grounds and close and you like trolling then the 10hp will be fine. If you desire more speed, you can keep man eye out for a larger engine at your leisure.
Its possible to pick up Wilsons that were bought for home completion but never completed. So new boat at great prices.