Control Cables

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm

I was told that most tiller engines can get cables attached to make it a remote controlled unit.

Will the cable the previous owner of my bonwitco 400c left on, from a Mercury 40hp, (red band I think) be compatible with a Yamaha 25hp? (pull start) or will I need to order and re-fit?

wont let me add pics, will need to email them directly..

Thanks

Cormac

Re: Control Cables

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 pm

I have no idea Cormac. If you make your pictures a bit smaller you should be able to attach them.

Kev

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm

how do i reduce them, they are stored on my pc

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 pm

there is a small tool available for free from here called 'picture resizer'. Download this and install it.
Open your "my pictures" folder - highlight the pictures you want to resize and rick click with your mouse. You should see an option then to resize - click this an a box will pop up and in the advanced section simply check the "make pictures smaller " box and also the "resize originals - don't make copies" box and click OK.
This will resize all your pictures down to about 30KB and you should have no problems posting them.
Hope this works for you.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:46 pm

ennagail24 wrote:I was told that most tiller engines can get cables attached to make it a remote controlled unit.

Will the cable the previous owner of my bonwitco 400c left on, from a Mercury 40hp, (red band I think) be compatible with a Yamaha 25hp? (pull start) or will I need to order and re-fit?

wont let me add pics, will need to email them directly..

Thanks

Cormac
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm

its a JOHNSTON, not a Yamaha, sorry folks!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:22 am

Hi Cormac,

Didnt see this till now so soz about the delay dude, In the link below you will see my engine "25HP Johnson" and i too had cables from a different engine and so had to tinker with them till i worked out a way to make them fit,

In the video you will see where i had to fix an extension bar / bracket to both sides of the Casing and then added a “u bolt “ to hold the cable in place,

You may also see a stainless steel clip that holds the white plastic end on the accelerator cable in place over the pin on your engines throttle control, this I had to buy from “Seamus o malley” six mile bridge,

Funny enough !!! After 6 outings since I did this little quick fix the only thing that went wrong was the clip that I had to buy… it slipped off as I came towards the pier and the engine stuck open as I approached the slip… had to do a quick u turn out to sea and sort it before I could go back in,

Every thing else is still workin fine and I now have a cure to stop the same problem recurring, I agree with the saying “ If it bends then it fits” there’s a way around everything and I did offer to come give u a hand if you got stuck,

Hope the video is of help to you.. Try pause it when it shows the brackets then you should come up with a way around your problem,

If you are going to use a similar idea I would advise you to cut 2 slots in the bracket so it sits snugly over the housing on the casing… otherwise I think you will find the bracket will vibrate itself lose as there is only one bolt holding it to the casing,

I used 4mm alloy for the brackets and had to retread one of the bolt hole…. But that’s another story. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gHDT_mVFHuw