Any ideas what this was intended for.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:04 pm

Lads,

Can anyone put me out of my misery, this item here was on the boat when I got it last year and every time I looked at it I started to think up new ideas of what it was originally made for, so I got fed up of seeing it in the boat and took it off,

Its somehow got into my bedroom so again I look at it and think of a new use for it near every day, it used to have a clear dome over the bulb and that came in handy to cover the white light on the boats Nav lights “ perfect fit” ,

But I would still like to know what its intended use was when made,

Cheers,
[img]
float%20type%20object%20002_edited.jpg
[/img]

[img]
float%20type%20object%20003_edited%20(Small).jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Any ideas what this was intended for.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:21 pm

It looks like a one off those emergency strobe lights or it could be an epirb have a look at the link mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:29 am

mate it is as last reply says so put it back on boat no good in your house if you need it.

some switch on when in contact with water others by hand. I work at sea and anything like that pray you never need it but better on the boat than not.

enjoy your boat but be safe mate

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:28 am

janie tyler wrote:It looks like a one off those emergency strobe lights or it could be an epirb have a look at the link mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon

Thanks for the link Janie,

Had a look and I see they all had some kind of aerial “mine don’t” so I took it apart to see if there was anything that may transmit a signal and theres nothing there but wiring for the bulb from the battery compartment,

pookie5488 wrote:
some switch on when in contact with water others by hand.

enjoy your boat but be safe mate

Hi pookie,

While taking it apart I seen a company name so googled it and found this to be very near to what you and Janie reckoned it might be… obviously it would have been a lot easier for you both to tell what it was if yous had it in your hands rather then try tell what type it is from a picture and I have seen some that look much the same and do send a signal,

But thank god this is not one of them because I put the batteries in it tonight and the light came on which in turn would have started it to send a signal and I would have had the “search & rescue” knocking on my door, :roll:

I found its as you say a manual device called “a boat lifebuoy light” I presume you tie it to your lifebuoy and when your in the water you turn it on,

Before I found out tonight what it was intended for I reckoned the only use I would have for it was to drop a line with a few baited circle hooks at dusk with this item as a marker in the hope of finding a few whiting ling or Pollock when I returned a little later… is this legal I ask myself,

Thank you both for your help with this and I’m happy to see that no one came along to say I have it in the bedroom as my new sex toy as I was warned by “you know who u are” that I could be in for a bit of stick,

And I have to agree with him that I was wide open for attack… will think before I ask something again :oops:

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:39 am

Its good that you know what it is now you should put it back together and put it back on your boat mate

Maurice

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:33 am

There should be a screw-on clear plastic dome to go over the light.

Lidl's sells these units in the summer when they do boating special offers. i got one a few years back, its somewhere forgotten on the boat, but I'll be digging it out now to try that genius idea of using it as a flashing float :idea: :idea: :idea: thanks Mike :D

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm

i think your wife bought ya a butt plug for your birthday

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Hugo wrote:There should be a screw-on clear plastic dome to go over the light.

Lidl's sells these units in the summer when they do boating special offers. i got one a few years back, its somewhere forgotten on the boat, but I'll be digging it out now to try that genius idea of using it as a flashing float :idea: :idea: :idea: thanks Mike :D

Hi Hugo,

yep there was a dome on it but i pulled it off and found a use for it :) but i may have to stick it back on if its to be used as a floating marker :roll:

I been looking for at lidl's in the hope they bring the boat gear back but it seems such a long time since they had anything for the boat that i was thinking they may have sacked the idea of doing it again,... could do with some fenders, i got a good cheap anchor a couple of years ago from them.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 am

I been looking for at lidl's in the hope they bring the boat gear back but it seems such a long time since they had anything for the boat that i was thinking they may have sacked the idea of doing it again,... could do with some fenders, i got a good cheap anchor a couple of years ago from them.

I've only ever seen them do the boat stuff once a year in high summer, around August bank holiday I think. They do good rope and bits and bobs, and the yachting clothing is great value.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I will keep an eye out for it around then, cheers, 8) got a some good water proof gear the same time I got the anchor and there still as good as new even though I used them on construction sites when it rain heavy,
Very good value