Some advice Please

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey lads looking for some advice please about my boat...... We have a boat in the family (when i say we i mean myself and the girlfriends uncle) its moored in Bullock Harbour .Its a 14ft not sure exactly wat model but has a front cab and only has a 15 HP engine on the back .............

Basically its very very slow and also as some of you from the area would know that the currents around dalkey island can be a pain in the rear and in this boat particularly its a bit of a nightmare .At the moment we only use the boat for very short trips around the island and dun laoighre in the summer for makerel but if the boat was able to travel further quicker we would travel further around shankill ,bray, Dublin bay etc ..... We are lookin into possibly getting a bigger engine for the boat but are we wasting our money ??? The hull on our boat is very wide also which doesnt help the speed ,would it be more beneficial to get new boat and bigger engine ?? If so is there anywhere that you could reccomend that might take trade ins ? We want to keep the cost down .... Thanks in advance for any advice :)

John

Re: Some advice Please

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:59 pm

So many questions.....

Can you get an id of the boat, or post up a pic?

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm

masterkeane wrote:Hey lads looking for some advice please about my boat...... We have a boat in the family (when i say we i mean myself and the girlfriends uncle) its moored in Bullock Harbour .Its a 14ft not sure exactly wat model but has a front cab and only has a 15 HP engine on the back .............

Basically its very very slow and also as some of you from the area would know that the currents around dalkey island can be a pain in the rear and in this boat particularly its a bit of a nightmare .At the moment we only use the boat for very short trips around the island and dun laoighre in the summer for makerel but if the boat was able to travel further quicker we would travel further around shankill ,bray, Dublin bay etc ..... We are lookin into possibly getting a bigger engine for the boat but are we wasting our money ??? The hull on our boat is very wide also which doesnt help the speed ,would it be more beneficial to get new boat and bigger engine ?? If so is there anywhere that you could reccomend that might take trade ins ? We want to keep the cost down .... Thanks in advance for any advice :)

John

i have a bigger boat its 18 ft it needs a small bit of work it has a 20hp or icould give you a 25hp but im willing to sell it cheap or if you part ex yours to it plus a little bit of euro theres a trailer to pm me if your interested

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:33 pm

If you could post a pic John, we will be able to help you a bit better. There are so many different type of boats out there.

Kev

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Ok lads thanks for the quick replies i will get a pic up tomorro

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm

if you want some sound advice and help try ringing derek at ddm number is on the page if your boat is a heavy wooden clinker boat it might be under powered for the sea especialy with the currents at dalky

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:40 am

Hi lads i havent put up pics as i have sourced a nice second hand boat 17ft....... I wanna price around for an engine ... 30 hp -50 hp wud be ideal . Can anyone put me in the right direction ? Maybe a place that does good reconditioned engines ?
Cheers
John .

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 am

try killeen marine in dalkey.
good few on done deal aswell.