cleaning hull

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:03 pm

lads taking the boat out next week whats the best medhod of cleaning the hull i know thes a good growth of weed but paulb took his out and there was a good growth of barnacles do you just scrape or is there some other way of removing
them to leave it ready for ANTIFOULING AGAIN

Re: cleaning hull

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Have a power-hose ready and start cleaning straight away.
If you wait until you get home it will be too late as the weed would have started to dry,
If your getting it out on or near a marina pay the few bob to get it done there. Five minutes worth of work there, could end up 2/3 days if you leave for a few days.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 pm

A garden hoe or a blunt paint scraper to assist the washer :wink: Usually around 25 minutes has a 35 footer spotless :)

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 pm

im beginning to wonder is it worth antifouling if the weed and barnacles still grow on it mine was showing weed after 8 weeks of mooring i know with the 3 point mooring system used in howth promotes growth on one side but after carefully anti fouling and buying what i was told was the best 100 euro a tin you would expect it to work for more than 8 weeks
i might go with what paulb does and get it powerwashed twice during the season saves a lot of bother painting if its not going to work?

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Antifoul is all more or less the same the main difference is price but I would recommend using it as it protects your hull as the growth is on the paint rather than the glass it also makes cleaning it much easier and where you need to scrape it's the paint and not gelcoat your scraping :wink:

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:13 pm

yes of course that makes sense to me now so its only a protective shield i was under the impression it stopped weed from growing thats why i was p---ed off but that explains it too me thanks mohawk

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:56 pm

If you have a trailer, then a lift and a powerwash might be the way to go, but it will be a bit more work, especially if left a while. There is plently of crappy weather all summer, which should give you plenty of time to do these little things :lol:

If it were a new boat or one that wasn't antifouled I would to that route, but if there is paint on it anyway I would be inclined to top it up, just use some cheaper stuff, If you leave it as it, the antifoul would start to flake and might look a little tatty.

Kev

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:42 pm

no iwill antifoul again mohawk has explained why. i was of the impression antifoul stopped weed and shellfish from growing on the hull but i see what its for now. so it will be steamwashed straight away and re painted new engine fitted,and hopefully il launch and retrieve if the weather permits thats the plan now

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Dont mind MAC :-)

you cant put a boat on the water with out antifoul, very quickly you will get the amazon
rainforest growing there and millions of barnacles, when one sets up house it gives out
a chemical so its friend move in beside it, then you hull will not work as designed and
it will be dangerous to go out in the boat.

if you use the right antifoul its 100% effective against barnacles, you do still get a slimey
build up on the hull but this can be easily power hosed off.

There are different antifouls for fast and slow hulls - its written on the tin

it you ever want to take if off, there a special antifoul paint stripper, easy job

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:49 pm

thanks jw im not sure if there is barnacles there is a growth of fine green weed on one side but paulb is on the same chain and his was full of barnacles but i dont think he has antifoul on his so i wont know till tomorrow when i lift it

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 pm

twinkle wrote:no iwill antifoul again mohawk has explained why. i was of the impression antifoul stopped weed and shellfish from growing on the hull but i see what its for now. so it will be steamwashed straight away and re painted new engine fitted,and hopefully il launch and retrieve if the weather permits thats the plan now

It does and is in fact intended to stop the weed and barnacles or muscles if your moored near me :evil: but unfortunately no anti fouling paint is much good any more since they removed copper from it under International anti pollution laws several years ago, I've tried the expensive antifouling like interspeed and it was no better than the cheaper jotron it all lasted the same time the only difference I found was about 50% in cost :evil:

The most likely reason one side is worse than the other is that it gets more sunlight on that side :wink: I would recommend black antifouling it doesn't show the dirt much unlike red or blue. White tends to stay cleaner longer in areas just under the waterline that get the sunlight but once it gets fouled it looks terrible!

The longer a boat is laying idle at her mooring the worse the fouling gets so out fishing every day for you may just be your solution :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:57 pm

wow never had a excuse to go out every day before brilliant wonder how the other half will take that lol
iv been down in the dumps all day have been dreading taken her out since i launched in march wont be able to just skip off for a few hours il just go missing for a day at a time ha ha thanks lads you have been brilliant with advise and knowledge

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:16 pm

well itook out this morning and gave her a good hoseing with the pressure washer good bit of weed and small amount of
little barnacles no problem to the hose all cleaned off in 30 minutes and ready for painting lads thanks so much all yur advice
saves me hours of scaping now any ideas how to get the wife under the boat to paint it lol

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:12 pm

If we let you in on that secret we would have to kill you :twisted:

Don't paint it until you're ready to put her back afloat again to get the best results from the antifoul :wink:

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Last year I had very little growth on mine even with no antifoul.It was only this year because they had dredged the main channel that the barnacles seemed to come in plague proportions.However when I had it lifted out in the marina a good powerhosing and a scraper sorted the problem out.My hull was never painted and I'll try to keep it like that.

There is an Antifoul out called coppercoat which the Yacht club uses on the big boat .The last time they antifouled this boat was 8 years ago and its still perfect...I saw it when they took it out for a powerwash...not a barnacle in sight.

Some guy in Arklow has the agency for this stuff !!

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:52 pm

as mohawk pointed out above, barnacles evolved to attach firmly to rock with the swell and waves
pounding, one of natures strongest bonds, so when you try and scrape them off a hull you are really
scrapping off bits of hull with barnacles attached. If you dont antifoul in a matter of weeks it
would be routine to see colonies as large as baseballs on the hull. It just seems to me like antifoul
is a simple solution to otherwise a big problem and will pay for itself in fuel savings alone

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:23 pm

iv look at that paul i would have to sand the hull to remove all other antifoul it takes 6 litres per coat for 7 metre hull and you need 4 coats thats 24litres havent found a price list yet but i doubt its cheap back to plan A any idea how to get the wife to paint the hull

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 pm

are you ready for this lads copper coat is 95 euros per litre they also recommend an agent to do the work mcmanus marine howth also hull to bee sand blasted to sandblast 648 euro plus vat total cost for coppercote 2864.00 euros for a 20 ft hull
nice money for a bit of paint lol for that money i would change the hull every year ha ha ha

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Ouch.....

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:13 pm

twinkle wrote:are you ready for this lads copper coat is 95 euros per litre they also recommend an agent to do the work mcmanus marine howth also hull to bee sand blasted to sandblast 648 euro plus vat total cost for coppercote 2864.00 euros for a 20 ft hull
nice money for a bit of paint lol for that money i would change the hull every year ha ha ha

for this kind of money you could go out on charter trips for about 5 years, other expenses even left out of the equation :shock: