honda engine service

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:00 pm

Just got myself a boat a dejon 14ft with a honda 5 hp 4 stroke on it.

went to a local guy and was quoted 60 euro for a service inc new plug & oil, is this reasonable ?

Also there is aplate on it that says that maximum eng size shouldnt exceed 10hp but the transom ? has been strengthened. a lot of people only use a 5 hp as aux would this be ok to use as main engine on the sea until I can get a bigger one and should I risk a 15- 20 hp on the transom (hope that the right word for where engine sits?)

Warren
warrens boat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: honda engine service

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm

New plug and lower unit oil would cost you about €15. It would take about 20 mins to do this job.... If he was replacing the impeller as well, then it would be worth it. You should get the impeller done every 2 - 3 years or so anyway.

It's easily done yourself with a bit of research if your handy with the tools. If not haggle a little more and get the impeller done as well. You might also wan't to get the carberator cleaned and maybe replace the fuel lines as that is quite an old engine.

I would launch on a lake first to get an idea of what speed the boat will do before heading off to sea. If you are going to stay fairly close to land your 5hp should be ok, but if your looking to get a couple of miles off, you should consider something a little bigger.

Good luck with the new boat.

Kev

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:16 pm

thats a tasty little boat and a whole load of sense mac has given you take it out on the lake and give it a good run
and you will know then what power you need on the boat for the sea. best of luck with the boat and safe fishing

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:52 am

Hi Wozza. If you're a novice on the sea, saving a few euro is not your first priority, its SAFETY. Get the boat and engine thoroughly checked out by somebody fully professional, competent, and experienced (and liable), and get them to explain everything in detail. Once you've absorbed that, you can start thinking about value-for-money and DIY boating.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:53 am

Hi Lads

Thanks for your replies.

Mac thanks for the good advice. I was thinking about lake first, I have a v good friend who has had boats/trawlers in Cornwall and lives here now and he is happy to show me a lot of what he thinks I need.

Thanks Twinkle she looks nice and good thing i spose is she will be visible

Hugo safety is mynum 1 priority. wasnt the thought of saving a few euro. I asked about service as I was also quoted 120 euro by a boat yard in the area and wondered about pricing.
My engine size question is because I wondered if I should attempt to upsize so I dont get into trouble when going uptide etc with only 5 hp.

I have enquired about SRRC courses with BIM in Donegal, looked at the RNLI online saftey course and will not be going out to sea until David is with me or he feels that Im competant to do so. He has his VHF license so that helps.In my favour is that I have sailed small dinghies and windsurfers for 20 years and gives me a bit of an insight of whats needed ! but I do not profess to be anything else other than a novice who wants to get proficient with time. not a fool who has rushed out and bought a boat and go straight out in a force 5 or whatever.

Have bought a quality Lowrance fish finder to help with depth sounding as well as fish and we have converted sat nav to blue charts.

Sorry if my original post was misleading in that respect of safety but I always remember me mam saying that " Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" and I will always look before I leap

Warren

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:20 am

:oops: Sorry for jumping in like that Wozza, you're obviously going about things the right way, fair play, and enjoy the boat once you get going. I've a good few sea years on me (even once owned and ran a 50ft scallop dredger) and seen a lot of unexpected things go wrong out there, and you can never be over-prepared or too cautious. Some of the inexperienced boaters I've seen out there recently would make my hair stand on end if I had any left... :)

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:15 am

Hi Hugo

no need for apologies, if I had made myself clearer then you wouldn't o had cause for commenting. its good to hear peoples opinions and concern's as that is what this board is about, exchange of views.

I have seen them also from westport thru sligo bay up to Mullaghmore and no doubt it happens all over the world where people act on a whim and get a boat, then think coz they can tow it on the car, they can then drive it like a car on vast expanse of water thinking its on wheels instead of water, with total disregard for the numerous obstacles on and underwater they may encounter.

Real pleasure is encountered through experience and that is what I hope to gain over the last few years I have on this earth. my days of whizzing about aimlessly for thrills of speed are long gone, hence a max of 20 hp engine on my boat. I want inshore pleasure fishing and if I did want to go out further will go on a licensed vessel .

Warren

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Wozza wrote:my days of whizzing about aimlessly for thrills of speed are long gone.... I want inshore pleasure fishing and if I did want to go out further will go on a licensed vessel .

Pretty much where I'm at myself at this stage (the Golden Years, or is it Brass?) :) I'm happiest anchored up in some calm little bay or cove, float out on one side, bottom rig on the other, Lyric on the radio, tea poured.... :D

Talking about whizzing about, some lads on a big rib tried to swoop round me as I was chugging into the Killala channel just recently, and rammed themselves onto a reef at full tilt. :shock: Nobody hurt but much expensive damage. Its that type that worries me...

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 am

thats done it for me boys ring my missus and tell her im gone to howth lol