Sounder wipe-out

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi. I have a Garmin 120 for about 5 years, working fine. Recently I changed the battery on the boat to a bigger one which is kept charged at home by a little solar panel arrangement. Now the sounder screen has started blanking when the engine is revved to about 4000, but resumes when you knock it back. Voltage at 4000 is about 14.4V - is this too high for the sounder? Anybody experienced anything similar?

Re: Sounder wipe-out

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm

i think there only 12 volt you might need some sort of regulater fitted otherwise you could burn it out if the voltage going to it is too high

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks Twinkle. A regulator exists and is OK, and I've just read the fine print (RTFM! :D ) which says unit operates between 10V and 18V and has overvoltage protection, so its nothing to do with that after all.... Hopefully somebody has dealt with this kind of thing before.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 am

any luck with the sounder?hugo

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:18 pm

No replies, Twinkle, not even from Garmin online assist :evil: Wondering now if i might have disturbed or loosened an earth connection when installing new battery. Had problems like this with vehicles in the past, frustrating hours checking wiring with a test meter, no fun ... :(