weed on hull

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:11 pm

lads came back to the boat after 3 weeks and theres a growth of weed all on one side and stern of the boat
dident expect this as i anti fouled this in april any ideas about how to get it off without taking the boat out?

Re: weed on hull

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Twinkle,
I have the exact same problem with my boat (Orkney520) which is moored on the same chain as your boat in Howth. I also antifouled the hull last april and recently noted alot of growth below the waterline on the portside and aft under the transom. I think as our boats are moored on three point moorings (ie not swinging moorings) the sunshine will promote growth on only certain areas of the hull. I was thinking (well hoping really) if we ever get some decent weather, of beaching the boat, possibly on Irelands eye over a tide and giving the bottom a scrub. I know a few of the lads on the same mooring chain as us do this. Now we have a solution the only other requirement would be a deck scrubber and fine summers day, what you think the chances of that are???
Regards Nick.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:23 pm

sounds like a good idea but i thought anti foul was supposed to not let it happen when you spend 100 euros on paint surely
it should get you at least a season? are some paints better than others? i used international brand it was recomended dont think id buy it again

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Lads, I get the lads in the yacht club to lift mine out ( € 38 ).I then use their Power Hose's to clean the hull down.

Saves wrecking the hull with anti foul and works out a lot cheaper too !!

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 pm

youll be giving them another 38euros this week paul yours is the same lol but that will do me fair play to you experiance you
cant buy it.